• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pig Fest 2008

rooftop1000

So today is the day of my riding club's Big BBQ.

Last night as I was spatchcocking some chickens and rubbing some butts what else would I think but "grab the camera"

Here are the 3 half shoulders, 1 with skin 2 unfortunatley skinless. 2 Got a nice Southern Style paprika based rub (along with the 3 chickens) and 1 got what I am hoping was a Euro flair with salt pepper and juniper

gallery_23695_426_361364.jpg

7am and I see smoke

gallery_23695_426_83450.jpg

tracey n karl

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Oooooo, that pork and poultry look nice. Your photo inspired me to pull a neglected 25lb pork shoulder out of the freezer. Guess I better make a decision what to do next.

Can you describe the juniper flavoring process? My experience with juniper stops at a gin and tonic.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Peter I meant to grind the salt, pepper and juniper in my spice grinder but it was actually in the trunk of my car, (with the extra folding chairs and umbrellas). Not a problem except that to create more parking we dropped my car at our mechanics parking lot in the next town over :unsure:

So I just squished and chopped the Juniper with the salt and rubbed it into the meat with the pepper. It worked, the floral flavor came through very nicely.

This nice pan of bacon bits reminded me of a moment the night before Varmints Pig Pickin' so I couldnt resist

gallery_23695_426_152978.jpg

The bacon was destined to be a topping for Spatzle with a swiss cheese sauce and fried leeks

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

My Webpage

The first couple to arrive came bearing gifts of a borrowed pop up canopy and a bubbling cauldron of Beer Cheese Dip

gallery_23695_426_289020.jpg

this is something we had alot of on our ride out to Tennessee

and of course you need something to dunk in it...Super Pretzle to the rescue. I picked up a 36 pack of the heat and eat soft pretzles and since I had sesame, poppy and carraway seeds on hand we had some fun with them

gallery_23695_426_163113.jpg

T

Maxine

My Webpage

Since you can never have to much Beer or Cheese at a party, and I really do have a theme going here, I also made a cold cheese spread flavored with Cherry Wheat beer, paprika and carraway called Obatzda

gallery_23695_426_342396.jpg

gallery_23695_426_268877.jpg

gallery_23695_426_470562.jpg

T

Maxine

My Webpage

We eventually got the dinner buffet set up starting at one end of the table...

we have Cole slaw and the bread basket with mini Potato Rolls, Whole wheat rolls and a few more pretzles

The yellow squeeze bottle has a North Carolina style vinager sauce and the red one is regular BBQ sauce and theres a jar of sweet mustard too

gallery_23695_426_280826.jpg

a nice pot of turkey chilli with cheddar garnish brought by a guest

gallery_23695_426_617466.jpg

t

Maxine

My Webpage

I really couldnt decide weather to leave this shot for last just to torture everyone but here it is the reason for the day

gallery_23695_426_256556.jpg

tracey

Maxine

My Webpage

here is the rest of the buffet

first set of pans is the Juniper pork which being the farthest from the fire was more of a slicing texture which was fine, and the cheese spatzle with Swiss and Brie sauce with bacon and fried leeks

gallery_23695_426_228484.jpg

the second set has the chicken and southern style pulled pork dressed with a little vinager sauce

gallery_23695_426_517049.jpg

and of great importance the beverage table...those little party kegs certainly cut down on the trash generated at the party

gallery_23695_426_84911.jpg

T

Maxine

My Webpage

What a spread! I never think to make spatzle for a get together, never mind with those embellishments -- bacon, cheese and leek is like a Holy Trinity for me.

Your photo inspired me to pull a neglected 25lb pork shoulder out of the freezer. Guess I better make a decision what to do next.

No smoking for me this weekend, I went with the eGullet Recipe Cook-Off XVII -- Sausages.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack