• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

25 for $25, again

I couldn't find anything on the Times or P-I websites at all. Guess I'll have to buy a Sunday paper. :angry:

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I couldn't find anything on the Times or P-I websites at all.  Guess I'll have to buy a Sunday paper.   :angry:

There should be a bunch of information appearing soon in the Ticket insert in the paper. I think that section comes out on Fridays? I can't wait to go dine around. :biggrin:

Looks like November is going to be happy eating time again:

Dine around Seattle - 25 for $25

Perhaps we should do an eGullet dinner ?

- S

Great idea, but how will we ever decide on a place? There are so many that I want to try! Places I haven't tried yet, but are curious about are E & O, Nishino's, Zoe, Szmania, Tulio. There are also some places on the list I've been to and wouldn't mind going to again. What appeals to everyone else?

And welcome to eGullet Malaika!

Among the Participating Restaurants:

Andaluca, Assaggio, Barking Frog, Brasa, Canlis, Cascadia, Earth & Ocean, Etta's, Fandango, Flying Fish, Hunt Club, Kaspars, Market Street, Nell's, Nishino, Ponti Seafood Grill, Ray's Boathouse, Restaurant Zoë, Szmania's, Tulio, Waterfront, Yarrow Bay Grill.

Great idea, but how will we ever decide on a place?  There are so many that I want to try!...

25 restaurants in 25 days!! :laugh:

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

In an act of uncharacteristic boldness (sluttiness), here it is. Scrat68 and I are penciling in the following for each Sunday in November and would love to have company at any and all:

Nov 3: Nishino

Nov 10: Ponti

Nov 17: Ray's

Nov 24: Szmania's

If you'd like to join us, PM us a week or so in advance and we'll be happy to take care of reservations. Should others select different evenings/destinations, we'll try to make that happen as well. Cheers!

EDIT: ANY COMMITMENT IMPLIED BY THIS SCHEDULE IS NOW NULL AND VOID :wink:....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally went to Nell's. Last minute decision. Arrived not long after 5:00 and got the last available table for an early seating (though the room didn't fill until 6 or so.) The room really is odd - metal storefronts and wood wainscot just don't mix. But there were some nice touches including a basket of apples in the entry for a first pleasant scent. Chef was very present - perhaps a bit concerned with the 25 for 25 crowd?

They have two appetizers, two entrees, and two desserts to choose from. For an extra $20, you can have matched wine/sherry with each course (I didn't.)

I had an onion tarte with sunchoke chips and hazelnut butter. I could eat this everyday. It was smooth, creamy, crunchy, salty, and grainy. Other starter was kolarabi soup.

Entree was duck confit with thyme scented cabbage and fingerling potatoes. Salty (not overly), tender, leg plus a disk of thigh (?) atop soft, braised cabbage, and earthy half potatoes. The sauce was a sweetended reduction - assume duck stock - not sure what else. Very good. Other choice was salmon.

Dessert was gingerbread cake (or was it pumpkin?) with cinnamon ice cream. The cake was a little dry and not too flavorful. The ice cream was a beautiful golden color, the flavor took a second or two to develop on the tongue. There were thin strands of fresh, candied (preserved?) ginger - these perked up the combination nicely. They were almost transparent and gummy, but good.

Wine by the glass ranged from $6-$9 as I recall.

All in all - a very good meal - and I will be back to try the regular menu soon. Intrigued by the hand cut noodles with chantrelle mushrooms.

Sounds like some nice menu selections at Nell's. Thanks for the writeup :smile:. Do you happen to remember what the other dessert selection was on the $25 menu? They're near Greenlake, right?

Here's a proposal I'm just going to throw out here: Earth and Ocean for dinner on Sunday Nov. 10th. 7:00-ish. Wadda ya say? Anyone want to meet me there?

Do you happen to remember what the other dessert selection was on the $25 menu? They're near Greenlake, right?

Oops, the other dessert selection was chocolate pot au creme with espresso cookies (?). Can't believe I didn't choose it!

Nell's is across from the ball fields at Greenlake - there is a parking lot adjacent. (By the tall senior housing apartment building - the building is tall, the seniors probably aren't.)

Nov 3: Nishino

so how was Nishino tighe? I think you are the first among us to venture into the 25 for $25 arena...

:sad::angry::shock:

Unfortunately, life interfered with an otherwise perfect plan, and we didn't make it. I should probably delete the previously posted schedule since we are actually going to be out of town next weekend. This will teach me never plan anything more than two days in advance. Hoping to make it to Nishino sometime the week or maybe next week......

Here's a proposal I'm just going to throw out here: Earth and Ocean for dinner on Sunday Nov. 10th. 7:00-ish. Wadda ya say? Anyone want to meet me there?

dammit! I can't do the 10th! oh well, I might plan to hit E&O on a wed or thurs after work sometime...

Born Free, Now Expensive

So, a day late but we went to Nishino tonight for the $25 menu....it was a winner!

The menu:

Spicy miso soup with mushrooms and clams

Albacore sashimi salad

Choice of:

Black cod marinated in sweet miso, or

Shrimp and vegetable tempura, or

Grilled chicken breast with a balsamic, teriyaki reduction

Ginger ice cream with a chocolate-chocolate chip cookie baked with orange zest

When I've gone to Nishino in the past I've rarely made it past the sushi menu, so it was good to try some of their other items.

The soup was great, but I think would have actually been better without the spiciness. The broth was a very rich combination of miso and musroom flavor that was only detracted from by the hotness. The clams were kind of a throw in and didn't add much.

The salad was basic, but I was impressed with the two 'slabs' of albacore sashimi that came with it. Wonderful buttery texture and 'clean' flavor. The salad was mixed greens with a miso vinaigrette. I need to figure out how to try to recreate it at home.

For my entree, I had the black cod which was absolutely fabulous, by far the best rendition of this dish that I've had. The cod had obviously been marinated for quite a while as the flavor permeated the fish. It was cooked so that it was completely carmelized on the outside (almost black), but still had a 'melt-in-your-mouth' quality inside. The flavor was explosive. It was served with japanese pickles, marinated bean sprouts and shaved lotus root.

Scrat68 had the tempura, which was excellent, as it always is at Nishino. The shrimp in particular really stood out, cooked perfectly. None of it is at all greasy either.

Desert was a surprise for a Japanese restaurant. The ginger ice cream was very refreshing and the cookie was a great combo of chocolate and orange flavor. Neither was overly sweet.

The quantities was perfectly adequate for those less gluttonous, but I have to admit that we supplemented with an order of tempura albacore roll. Not sure where the 'tempura' part comes in, but the roll consisted of minced raw albacore with a nori wrapper with a piece of mountain potato in the middle. The highlight was the sauce which I can't even begin to adequately describe.....

As with all the $25 menus we tried last year, this was a great value. Based on the menu prices, you were essentially getting the soup and the desert for free.

Sorry to say we're going to be in Vancouver on the 10th. Will have to take solace in the fact that we're having dinner at Ouest on the 9th. :biggrin:

Reports to come soon...Earth and Ocean.

tls,

maybe before someone like nightscotsman (or myself) do the wrong thing? I ate there last June and liked the food, though the quantity was very light. Elsewhere, I read something from you sounding like your experience was not good?

Sorry for taking so long to reply-- and this won't be a full review but the long and the short:

I would go to Zoe before E and O especially on Mondays (Zoe's entire winelist is half price).

Zoe served good food, nothing extraordinary, but satisfying. Sort of elevated and glorified home cooking . . . a pleasant overall experience.

Earth and Ocean served mediocre to good food. Horrible desserts (Why does everyone rave? all style, no substance. Inedibly sweet!). Service was bad, bad, bad. Everyone seemed eager as hell to turn all the tables. Busser chewing gum the whole evening. I think the flaws of the service severely distracted from the merits of the food. If you do go, get the bacon wrapped bass (assuming you get the $25 menu). It was tasty.

Earth and Ocean served mediocre to good food. Horrible desserts (Why does everyone rave? all style, no substance. Inedibly sweet!). Service was bad, bad, bad. Everyone seemed eager as hell to turn all the tables. Busser chewing gum the whole evening. I think the flaws of the service severely distracted from the merits of the food. If you do go, get the bacon wrapped bass (assuming you get the $25 menu). It was tasty.

Thank you for confirming my opinion of the dessert - I completely agree. Stylish presentation, but unballanced or missing flavors and way too sweet. I think there are some good ideas, though.

By the way, I won't be going to E&O tonight after all. Feeling a bit under the weather :sad:. Somebody pick another date and I'll join you, because even though their desserts may be lacking, I did enjoy my last dinner there :smile:.

Had dinner at Waterfront, Pier 70. They were doing a fair amount of business for early on a Sunday night - blue jeans and sneakers to suits and cocktail dresses. Such a sensual place. Service was almost excellent - glass, silver, and napkin changes - bar was slightly under staffed, so a bit slow/leisurely, which was okay.

Starter choices - seafood chowder, mixed greens or grilled prawns. Had the 5 prawns served with argula/onion salad that was tasty.

Entrees - grilled halibut or salmon, or cioppino. Went for the cioppino - it was almost too spicy for my taste, a bit heavy handed with oregano(?). Chunks of salmon, halibut, and tuna, crab leg and body hunk, two clams, and a mussel served with grilled bread.

Dessert - sorbet, creme brulee, or french chocolate cake. Had the cake - a not quite flourless wedge of dense chocolate served with whipped cream and a light, fresh strawberry sauce. Satisfying.

Wine by the glass $8-11.50, none too exciting, but a big pour of a Sonoma Cab was okay.

Also served bread with caponata. Presented with a hot towel to clean up after the shell wrestling.

According to their menu, they serve a 12 ounce portion of grilled fish - that's big. Not sure if they were serving that for the special or not. All these entree options are priced around $24, so if the portions are sized the same, this deal gives you both the starter and dessert for free. I left very full.

They also have 5-7 pm well drinks priced at $4, and 25% off starters in the bar.