• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolatier Programs?

chocofoodie

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know of any reputable chocolatier trianing programs? I took a class from Ecole Chocolat online, but I wanted to do something hands on now. I'm in NY for a few months and have been looking at the French Culinary Institute. They have a class for serious amateurs called Chocolate and Bonbons but I wanted something more inclusive I guess. I feel like it is to intro level and doesnt do any confectionary except the tofee which I want to do as well. Has anyone taken it and can give me some feedback? And does anyone know of any program that fits the bill better?

Thanks everyone!!

Callebaut have training facilities at their Banbury site, UK which I am going to for the first time in a couple of weeks.

They seem to put on a few two day courses at a professional level.

I am doing the English Taste course which will cover caramel, fudge, fondant chocolates and it looks very interesting.

I cannot remember the full programme for this year but there is a course in London too.

The course administrator is Julie Buckland tel 01295 224755

I've been trying to find some, too. Unfortunately, I can't afford to go to another country for a week or two, which seems to be where most of the really great ones are.

Anyway, here are some things I've found that you might work for you:

Richardson Researches, Inc. - Chocolate Class, Confectionary Technology and Gourmet Continental Chocolates classes. Their Gourmet Continental Chocolates one is coming up in October.

Notter Pastry School - click on Class Schedules then View All Classes to see the individual listings. There's a Wybauw class coming up in November.

French Pastry School in Chicago has some Continuing Education classes available. Intro to Chocolate Candies sounds good.

Burdick Chocolate apparently did one earlier this year and here's the info. I don't know if they're going to do this again or not - I'm watching to see if it comes around again.

That's all I've found so far. What did you think of the Ecole Chocolat class? I've been looking at that. Is it really worth the money?

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body...but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

In NY you can check the Institute for Culinary Education - ICE - www.iceculinary.com

They run classes for recreation and professionals throughout the year. They also have a career pastry program. Jean Pierre Wybauw and Andrew Schotts have both been there.

www.cheri-pie.com

Life is too short. Eat good chocolate.

hey everyone, thanks for all the great replies! I am so happy to see that there are actually lots of chocolate specific classes and programs out there!

lapin d'or: I was looking at that class when I was in London, I would love to hear what you think. It looks great. I'll be back in December, so if you like it maybe I'll take it then.

digigirl: I took the class at Ecole because I wanted to get started and had no idea how. It was good in that respect. It gives you an overview of chocolate history, then you get these basic recipes for all kinds of chocolate variations, including things like fondants, nougats, etc, and then the last modules are on things like packaging and marketing plans. I guess it depends on what you are looking for and what kind of a learner you are. The class gave me some basis, but I feel that I would really benefit from something 'live' where an instructor can correct technique. With ecole I was able to get my foot in the door, but I dont feel i can take it to the next level without more professional guidance. If I had the choice before between the 25 hour chocolate class at the FCI and Ecole, I probably would have gone with the FCI, even though FCI is more expensive.

thanks for the links, i will check them out.

cheripie: thanks, they actually have a chocolate class for next week! and it's cheaper than the FCI.

I'd take a full pastry arts (or maybe even the full cooking arts) culinary program somewhere, then go to the Valrhona school and some of the other specific chocolate programs out there. Get as much knowledge, training and hands-on experience crammed into my pointy head as possible!

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body...but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"