• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Northwest of Chicago for the Holiday Weekend

jjread

Hey all,

While I live in Philadelphia, I find myself in "Lake In The Hills", IL (about 45 min north of Chicago) for the Holiday weekend... I am hoping that means something to some of you. I am wondering if anyone can suggest a place of some culinary significance in the vicinity. I am guessing that the classic Chicago touch stones (pizza, hotdogs, Italian Beef...) may not be in this area, but I would still love to find something that is decidedly Chicago if at all possible. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

JR

Lake in the Hills (LITH) is northwest of Chicago, not north. It's just south of Crystal Lake, a fairly large town that used to be too far away to be considered a suburb, but pretty much all the land in between it and Chicago has filled in in recent years.

You don't have to go far from LITH to get some of Chicago's finest, authentic food specialties. You can get excellent double-crust "stuffed" Chicago-style pizza at Giordano's, which has a location in Algonquin, a small town just east of LITH. And you can get a pretty good representation of Chicago style hot dogs and Italian beef sandwiches at Portillo's, which has a location in Crystal Lake.

Edited by nsxtasy (log)

Lake in the Hills (LITH) is northwest of Chicago, not north.  It's just south of Crystal Lake, a fairly large town that used to be too far away to be considered a suburb, but pretty much all the land in between it and Chicago has filled in in recent years.

You don't have to go far from LITH to get some of Chicago's finest, authentic food specialties.  You can get excellent double-crust "stuffed" Chicago-style pizza at Giordano's, which has a location in Algonquin, a small town just east of LITH.  And you can get a pretty good representation of Chicago style hot dogs and Italian beef sandwiches at Portillo's, which has a location in Crystal Lake.

Thanks a lot nsxtasy, this is more than I had thought was in the Lake in the Hills area. I am looking forward to it.

JR