• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Red Tide and Clams in Massachusetts

My wife and I are heading up to coastal Mass. next weekend, and one of the things we plan (ned) on doing was eating a bunch of clams, fried, in chowder, on the half shell, etc. etc. Along with as much other shellfish as we can consume.

But, I had read recently that due to red tide, various clam and mussel beds have been closed throughout Mass...perhaps even farther up the coast.

A couple of questions - what's the current status of the shellfish beds?

Is there any worry about illegal harvesting during red tide?

When there are no local clams to harvest, where do the clams come from? Are they any good?

Finally, does red tide affect lobster or crabs?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Mitch,

This link will take you to red tide open/closure updates for Mass.

When red tide closes part of a New England coast, other areas make up for local closures. Maine gets clams from Mass or downeast, or Canada and vice versa. Be absolutely sure that clams you eat during your holiday are safe. Exceptions? Doubtful - not these days anyway.

I heard today that closures in Maine occur when red tide bacteria exceed 80ppm but it's around 500ppm that people with compromised immune systems begin receiving enough bacteria to store in their muscle tissue and 1000ppm when it begins to be toxic for everybody. Then it takes repeated ingestion to provoke a seizure of involuntary muscle systems that means big trouble. The assessment of all involved (State Fisheries and harvesters) is that the State is being extremely cautious - more than probably necessary.

When big storms dump 2 inches of rain and river flooding occurs, the State closes down harvesting for a few tide cycles so that the run-off dissipates. This so shellfish can filter in (and that's a small maybe anyway) and out, any nasty bits people are spraying on their lawns or street detritus.

Lobster, crab and periwinkles are not affected. Oysters, clams and mussels are affected.

ppm = parts per million

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com