• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cambodian Cuisine (restaurant on Third Ave.)

Fat Guy

The much-awaited Cambodian Cuisine has opened on Third Avenue between 93rd and 94th Streets. The restaurant used to be in Fort Greene, Brooklyn, where it operated successfully and received many accolades (I thought the food was tasty but not fabulous the one time I went) but the owner, Jerry Ley, wanted to relocate to Manhattan. The renovation process was a tale of woe that you can read about if you like. But now the place is open, making it one of only two Cambodian restaurants in New York City (it used to be the only one, but while it was closed Kampuchea opened on the Lower East Side).

I live on East 93rd Street, and I occasionally walk by the location where Cambodian Cuisine was slowly renovating. I walked by a few days ago and was amazed to find it open. I picked up a takeout menu. It references a website where you can also see the menu. The menu also notes free delivery on the front page.

I called today to place an order for delivery but, much to my disappointment, I was told they're not yet offering delivery service. So, I'll have to walk over there another time.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I had lunch there a few days ago and it's still got some kinks to work out. Our meal was very good, but not great, and they're still trying to figure things out. That said, they are very gracious and eager to please, and the prices are fantastic. Since they're BYO, my wine group is having a dinner there next week and will see if they can handle 6-8 hungry people.

Cheers! :cool:

Website's not currently functioning particularly well, and if there's a menu there I can't find it.

Here's the link to the menu.

That said, they are very gracious and eager to please, and the prices are fantastic. 

I'll have to see portion sizes etc. but just from looking at the menu the prices don't seem all that low compared to, say, the neighborhood Vietnamese places. I mean, I imagine $14.95 for chicken ahmok would get you banned from Lowell and $17.95 for the fish dishes (choice of salmon or tilapia, both farmed I assume) seems steep.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)