• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NYC for 52 and 19-year old?

Chufi

At Vinny Vincenz, the thing to do is get the square/Grandma slice. Same for Artichoke, but the spinach/artichoke namesake might be a little better, if odd. For Luzzo's, get something with cheese or meat as a topping, I think those are better than the plains. For Una Pizza, the marg. is consistently good, although I've been into the white pizza lately, given the "special" available last time: arugula/spring onions/etc.

Edited by kathryn (log)
"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

jesikka you mean "deserves" to be in the upper echelon, right?

No, she was talking about price. She was saying that although it's not inexpensive, it's not in the the top eschelon of expense of New York.

(At least I think that's what she was saying.)

Maybe. Anyway, Tokyo and NYC are sister cities and one of the benefits we enjoy is authentic Japanese food of every type. I consider it a quintessential NYC experience to get Japanese food.

I got a slice of Sicilian cheesecake from Veniero's to go last week, and I found it rather tasteless, so I'm not in a mood to recommend that place. I would plus and minus the Tarallucci e Vino on 10th St. and 1st Av. (rather good pastries; rotten lettuce in the salad accompanying the panini too often for my liking, especially at their prices); is the Union Square location much better?

The union square location is very very different, as it's a restaurant and wine bar, whereas the E. Village location is more of a coffeeshop. I've not eating panini at either location, but the union square location has always used very fresh ingredients in the food I've eaten. I do not think the food has anything in common, as the menus are entirely different (and union sq has a much much larger menu).

jesikka you mean "deserves" to be in the upper echelon, right?

No, she was talking about price. She was saying that although it's not inexpensive, it's not in the the top eschelon of expense of New York.

(At least I think that's what she was saying.)

Correct.

Hi Chufi,

Thank you for all your amazing posts. If I were to splurge on one night and have a NY experience, I would chose the Bar room at the Modern, but not on a weekend.

Here is a way to reserve at many NY restautants. http://www.opentable.com/

The Moderm is right next to the Museum of Modern Art, not so near Union Square, but it's so NY. You can wear anything. Legal drinking age in this town is 21, but if she looks old.....

Otto is nice for pizza. Shake shack is also a NY event, but for lunch. Also, Momofuku Ssam bar (no reservations) is very good. Then there is Una Pizza Napolitana. Were I from Europe, I'd skip it.

I hope your husband and daughter in law enjoy this city.

JH

Not for myself unfortunately. My husband is spending a couple of days in New York with his 19 year old daughter, and I'm not going to be able to join them  :sad: To live vicariously I promised them I would help them (ask you for help anyway) to eat well. They're looking for informal, casual places where my not that hip husband and my quite hip stepdaughter will feel equally at home.. is it possible?? Oh and I suppose cocktaibars etc are out of the question because of her age? Or could she go there but just not drink alcohol?

They're staying in a hotel near Union Square, so places near there would be good. Although they'll ofcourse be wandering all over the city! They both love food - my husband is an adventurous eater with a passion for offal and spicy food, my stepdaughter has slightly more conservative tastes, she loves Italian and French food and 'good' fast food like great burgers and pizzas. They both love sushi. She would love to get some real 'New York' food experiences although I'm not even sure what that means. Katz's deli?

Ideas for bakeries, breakfast/brunch places near Union Square etc. would also be appreciated.

They're on a bit of a budget, although I suppose they will splurge one time.

I seem to remember posts about a place in a park (?) that has great burgers and milkshakes, but for the life of me I can't remember the name. It seemed like something they both would enjoy very much.

When I was in NY with my husband 5 years ago we very much enjoyed our dinner at Babbo (where we just walked in one night and were seated almost immediately) and pizza at Grimaldi's - I think Dennis will definitely want to go bakc to Grimaldi's!

I will be browsing the forum for tips, hey it's my favorite thing to do even if it's not for myself, but hope to get some ideas on this thread, too.  Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I made a map in Google maps with all the recs and a Word file with all the restaurant details, based on the info on this thread.

Well, they're in NY as I type this, and I just got a text message that they had dinner at Seymour Burton and loved it, fresh fava beans and fish and really good burgers and great beer!

They really liked it, not touristy and they felt it was very NY (whatever that means when a tourist from Amsterdam says it :biggrin: )

I love it that even without me there, he's following eGullet directions :smile:

Edited by Chufi (log)

they're back, and managed to eat very well. Loved Perry's, Seymour Burton and City Bakery. One day they went to Eisenbergs for breakfast, Shake Shack for lunch, and Grimaldi's for dinner.. :shock: they could not finish more than half of the pizza, had the rest wrapped up, and gave it to a homeless guy they met on the Brooklyn Bridge!

Without my or eGullets help they found Joe's Shanghai in Chinatown, which they loved.

They wanted to go to Bar Room at the Modern but when they got there (for lunch) they felt underdressed and a bit uncomfortable, so they did not go in.

The market at Union Square was much appreciated for breads, fruit and snacks.

Thanks all for the suggestions :smile: