• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

First Day as FOH

Doodad

Well, my little girl has gotten a good taste of the real world now. She has other jobs in the past, but with the last summer before college looming, she is now FOH in a sister country club to my wife's work.

Last night was the first VERY full day. School from 0730 on and straight to work until 10. I had Beef Carbonnade ready for her as promised. Poor thing. She looked whipped.

She requested the Kitchen Confidential DVD as her dinner accompaniment. :laugh: She gets more of the jokes now.

How's she doing? Making good tips? Keeping up with everything ok? Keeping kitchen & customer & managment happy? Did her legs fall off yet? Does she have good shoes?

She is doing very well, thank you. Tired, but really appreciative of how hard work can be and how financially rewarding. She fell in between payrolls so she has not seen a check yet, but the first one will be a doozy. She works banquets so she gets a share of the 18% gratuity charge on top of the salary.

Poor thing, she worked her high school baseball team's award banquet Tuesday. Some of the boys were heckling her, but she sucked it up and smiled. The manager wisely moved her to other duties when it began to go downhill.

She must be doing good as she is training Sunday for other duties. I think cart girl, which would make her beau coup $$$.

• 3 weeks later...

Aww, good for her!

If she starts to complain about sore feet, get her some Dansko clogs. I love these things. I can be on my feet for hours and hours and still be comfortable. The best thing about them is that they have that little bit of space in the back. Your feet swell when you stand for a long time, and the space gives them a bit of room. Makes all the difference.

If she has to be more dressy (like if they have her host or something), Sofft, which is a brand owned by Clarks, makes the most comfortable dress shoes on the planet. They are not sexy, but they are tasteful and appropriate, and I can wear the heels for 10+ hours and not be in agony. A Godsend.

"An appetite for destruction, but I scrape the plate."