• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Loss of liquid while resting

Ariel Schor

The Banquet Chef at the hotel I work at and myself were discussing the effects of resting meat with an apprentice when we stumped ourselves with a question. We realized that Strip Loin Steaks retained more moisture both during resting and holding periods (160 Fahrenheit) than Tenderloin steaks. The steaks were cooked to the same temperature (130 Fahrenheit) were held for the same amount of time. Has anyone else noticed this effect? Is this due to the the firmer muscle tissue in the Striploin? Any other ideas?

Is there a reason you are "holding" at a higher temperature than you are cooking to? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of cooking precisely to 130F in the first place?

Sorry, did not explain it correctly. Banquet staff cooks them to 120, serves them at 130. Sadly, due to the lack of staff and the high volume output, the banquet kitchen has to utilize "Hot Boxes". We plate on a conveyor belt, lid the plates, stack them and place them in wheeled holding carts in which we carry them to the event floor in the hotel. The plates are then sauced and garnished a la minute. It makes me really sad to do this, and glad that I don't work banquets much at all.

I am concerned with the liquid loss during resting time, not holding time, for I have noticed this difference as well in the restaurant kitchen.

To be clear: You're not observing that the strip loins retain more moisture than the tenderloins, you are observing that the strip loins exhibit more moisture loss compared to the strip loins. How about this question: Perhaps the tenderloins had more moisture to begin with?

--