• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pi - Southfield's Best Sandwich

poshpeckish

friends,

i had an unbelievable sandwich yesterday at Pi, formerly Caffe Milano, out on Northwestern Highway. It's the same Roasted Pork sandwich that you can get at Il Posto (not exactly as i reveal below) but here the portion of succulent brick oven smoked pork is much better. the tomatoes were unbelievably ripe - even in march, no less. and the organic greens were impressively fresh as well. the ciabatta bread was in perfect proportion to the interior and gained a bit of smoke itself from a toasting in the brick oven. phenomenal. the sad thing is that you must ask for this preparation otherwise the management will desecrate it swiss cheese and dijonnaise. i kid you not.

and this is the key problem with pi. all the elements for a dynamite restaurant are there but it can't decide if it's going to be lunkhead sports bar, black swinger's lounge or a solid southern european bistro.

monday nights pizzas under six bucks! i had an italian sausage and red onion one last week that blows anything that you get anywhere in the metro area, including tomatoes apizza.

check it out. who knows how long this place will last before it's turned into something else.

Barbarian at the Plate

Your Gourmet with an Attitude

http://www.barbarianattheplate.com

• 3 weeks later...
friends,

i had an unbelievable sandwich yesterday at Pi, formerly Caffe Milano, out on Northwestern Highway. It's the same Roasted Pork sandwich that you can get at Il Posto (not exactly as i reveal below) but here the portion of succulent brick oven smoked pork is much better. the tomatoes were unbelievably ripe - even in march, no less. and the organic greens were impressively fresh as well. the ciabatta bread was in perfect proportion to the interior and gained a bit of smoke itself from a toasting in the brick oven. phenomenal. the sad thing is that you must ask for this preparation otherwise the management will desecrate it swiss cheese and dijonnaise. i kid you not. 

and this is the key problem with pi. all the elements for a dynamite restaurant are there but it can't decide if it's going to be lunkhead sports bar, black swinger's lounge or a solid southern european bistro.

monday nights pizzas under six bucks! i had an italian sausage and red onion one last week that blows anything that you get anywhere in the metro area, including tomatoes apizza.

check it out. who knows how long this place will last before it's turned into something else.

Interesting -- the menu also is all over the place, so I wouldn't have given Pi a second thought if you hadn't mentioned it here. Is the roasted pork sandwich the one listed on their lunch menu as "Apple Marinated Sliced Pork Loin?"

What makes their pizza so good? I'm going to be in Southfield in a couple of weeks and was planning on eating lunch at Tomatoes Apizza, but if this is better...

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"A sense of humor is a measurement of the extent to which you realize that you are trapped in a world almost entirely devoid of reason. Laughter is how you release the anxiety you feel at this knowledge." -Dave Barry, humorist

Read to children. Vote. And never buy anything from a man who's selling fear. -Mary Doria Russell, science-fiction writer

When small men begin to cast big shadows, it means that the sun is about to set. -Lin Yutang, writer and translator