• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hey Ma! Look what I bought - Goats & Bison!

gfron1

I don't know, judging from what I saw going on in the livestock pens at the Allentown fair a few weeks ago, those kids will most likely be plenty happy to sell you their rabbits for coin and not as a pet. They know what they're doing.

Congratulations on tapping into your area's specialty-raised meat community!

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

You're my little potato, you're my little potato,

You're my little potato, they dug you up!

You come from underground!

-Malcolm Dalglish

Well, I just bought a lamb (138#) and a goat (70#) for .90/lb from the fair. These belonged to one kid who got 4th in both events because they were too short. Bad for the kid and the animals, good for me. The kid wanted .70/lb (the price the packer would have paid them) but I gave .90 since it goes toward scholarships and its still .15/lb less than I paid the rancher last spring. Today is rabbit and poultry judging so I'll be getting some more animals later today.

The nice thing about the fair is that the packer is there to take all purchased animals at one time which make shipping very inexpensive.