• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

isle of bute - things to eat and do there?

hi there

I am attending a wedding in the Isle of Bute up in Scotland this December.

Is anyone familiar with this island?

If you are i be grateful for any info you have on the area.

I'm wondering if there any places worth eating on the isle or if self catering is more the way to go?

If so where would I stock up on foodie goodies?

I be driving so can venture into Glasgow beforehand and stock up on supplies.

thanks

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

Last time I was in Rothesay, which was a few years ago, there was nothing much. It's a bit of a faded-glory timewarp resort, and while the Tourist Board is banging the "local produce" drum you can't really hold out much hope for improvement.

Perhaps worth looking at Fowlers (which a Google suggests has been renamed The Waterfront Bistro, for better or worse). And if you enjoyed the gourmet night episode of Fawlty Towers you may get some mileage out of Chandlers. Otherwise, the tearoom and the local chipper are not too bad.

Getting off the island, the best is probably Kilberry Inn in Kintyre. There was also a place called Oyster Catcher up near Loch Fyne which was pretty good, although its website suggests that the owner left a few months ago, so all bets are off there.

Of course, the reason local places are mediocre and struggling is that tourists tend to stock up their cars in Glasgow. Not criticising your choice, you understand, just highlighting the vicious cycle.

Edit update: forgot to mention the Colintraive Hotel, which is just off the island but reasonably accessible by boat. Can't recommend as I haven't been, but it has a reputation of being better than the average.

Edited by naebody (log)