• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese in the middle of the lake....

tighe

When my mother suggested having lunch at her local Japanese place on Mercer Island this past week, I was skeptical. Other than burgers and beer at the Roanoke Pub, my food experiences on the Island had been less that stellar. Haruko's (2440 76th Ave SE, on the north end of the island) will keep me coming back however.

The restaurant itself was exactly what I like about many mid-range Japanese places, simple, spotlessly clean with very a friendly, welcoming staff. I was ready to order sushi, but my mother said I should try the fried oysters. I usually avoid cooked oysters of any kind, having had way too many chewy/rubbery experiences, but my mom knows from good oysters. I decided on the luch special of sukiyaki (sp?) and fried oysters (for $6.25!!!). Luch started with the obligatory bowl of miso, which was on par with other good miso I've had. Lunch was served on a tray, with a nice sized bowl of sukiyaki, four oysters with a cabbage salad, japanese pickles and white rice. The sukiyaki was very good, with excellent broth and a generous amount of beef and clear rice noodles. The highlight was definately the oysters, breaded with panko crumbs and deep-fried, I would have to say they were the best cooked oysters I've ever had. They must cook them very quickly at a very high temp, becaus the outside is very crispy while the oyster itself is barely cooked. I'm definately trying the sushi when I go back.

So next time you're stuck in traffic on I-90, I reccomend getting off on Mercer Island for a quick bite, it will be a much better use of your time....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

tighe, thanks for the review. This sounds just like the kind of place I would enjoy. I am going to go there and try those panko coated fried oysters! Did they go well with the cabbage salad, or was there a dipping sauce for them?

I've also always wanted to go to the historic Roanoake Pub.

Only place I think I've eaten on Mercer Island (other than friends homes) is Thai on Mercer for lunch one time. It was a good lunch as I recall, but I haven't been back.

Off topic.. but if anyone ever needs a good place to board their cat, I can highly recommend Mercer Island Pet Grocery. That's where we always take our cat when we go on vacation. Floor to ceiling space for each cat with many levels in between. It's also a great place (next door) to adopt a cat.

Did they go well with the cabbage salad, or was there a dipping sauce for them?

I've also always wanted to go to the historic Roanoake Pub.

Yes, there was a very nice dipping sauce that went with. I'm not too good at figuring these things out, but I would have to say it tasted like teriyaki sauce with maybe some plum sauce added? This is just a guess though.

Definately check out the Roanoke if you get a chance. It's been cleaned up quite a bit compared to years past, but is still sort of funky, with respectable food and a good beer selection. It's hard to believe there's such a place in the midst of tony Mercer Island.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

There is a fantastic place for hand dipped truffles in Mercer Island called Oh Chocolate, 2703 76th Ave. S.E., next to a travel place and a hair salon. The owner, Carl Krautheim, is just a fantastic guy. I really like to stop in and get a dipped truffle or a chocolate dipped caramel. Really, really fresh and delicious chocolate and a really low-tech environment (it looks like a shop you'd find in a little town in the middle of nowhere).

Yet another worthy destination in MI :)

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

Definately check out the Roanoke if you get a chance.  It's been cleaned up quite a bit compared to years past, but is still sort of funky, with respectable food and a good beer selection.  It's hard to believe there's such a place in the midst of tony Mercer Island.

well a few of the tony mercer islanders have tried to get rid of the Roanoke several times. Thank God & Goddess the powers that be decided each time that this place is grandfathered into the neighborhood. Who wouldn't want this place in their neighborhood?! Its probably the most historically interesting place on the island! Rumors abound: it was a speak easy during prohibition and a place of business for ladies of the night. ;-)

Born Free, Now Expensive

well a few of the tony mercer islanders have tried to get rid of the Roanoke several times.....

Quite true, but it has primarily been those who live adjacent to the place who somehow think they are divinely (or monetarily) entitled to absolute peace and quiet despite their decision to buy a house next to a pub. The VAST majority of Mercer Islanders I know would fight to the death, or at least to the end of cocktail hour, to keep the Roanoke. For some, I think it gives them the opportunity to feel like they're 'slumming' it without actually having to leave the island.

Note: I can say these kinds of snotty things about Mercer Islanders because I spent some of my formative years living there. Yes, I'm still in treatment....

• 4 months later...

I had an enjoyable dinner at Haruko's with my mom the other night. I believe someone on the board was lamenting the lack of bento boxes in Seattle but I had a really nice one at Haruko's. It included sashimi (5 types), tempura (veggies, shrimp, oysters), rice balls, pickles, fruit, tofu, scrambled egg, and some other stuff. Miso and cucumber salad were served before the bento box. Not the best Japanese food by any means, but tasty and only $13.