• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Louisville help

sheetz

I'll be driving by myself down to Louisville next Saturday, Feb 16, for a seminar. I plan to arrive around noon, stay overnight, and then leave the following afternoon, so that means 3-4 meals I need to plan. Any recommendations for a solo diner? I'm especially interested in sampling local specialties (hot browns, country ham, etc.) and would prefer cheap and casual--even takeout is fine.

I haven't booked a hotel yet so any recommendations for that would be greatly appreciated, as well. The seminar is being held near the airport on Sat afternoon, but the rest of the time I'm on my own.

Thanks

Edited by sheetz (log)

Many places have adequate hot browns, and some like to do interesting variations. Unfortunately, I can't think of one that jumps out. Of course, you could go to the Brown Hotel, where it was invented. "J. Graham's Cafe" is what you want. While the English Grill is excellent, it's certainly in the fine dining category. The Brown is downtown at Fourth and Broadway. BTW, a hot brown is definitely NOT a carry-out dish.

Some casual icons include Mike Linnig's, Kaelin's, and Lynn's Paradise Cafe.

Mike Linnig's is a summer tradition in a blue-collar end of town. Fried fish, onion rings, frog legs, and long-neck beers. Families would sit outside on concrete picnic tables or in screened-in "cabins." There is some indoor seating, too, and they are open in winter. It's good, but definitely not upscale. (mikelinnigsrestaurant.com) Even though Mike Linnig's has been around since 1925, many people on the other end of town have never been there. Make sure you get the onion rings.

Lynn's has updated comfort food and a retro / funky / cool decor. I'm not sure if they're targeting the cool artistic hipsters or just people who want to pretend to be hipsters but are too old. Very popular for brunch. (lynnsparadisecafe.com)

I'm torn on Kaelin's (kaelins.com). I've eaten there once or twice, but I can't remember much about it. It's really an old-fashioned (not "bistro", but perhaps not quite bar and grill either) neighborhood casual place, but it's not in my neighborhood. However, they claim to have invented the cheeseburger. It might be worth being able to say you've done it.

To prevent getting flamed, let me mention that Louisville has a couple of great restaurant strips. The main one is along Bardstown Road, starting at about Jack Fry's, one of my favorites, and running south a couple of miles. Shrimp grits. Go figure. But it's not cheap nor very casual.

The other strip is Frankfort Avenue. While there are a lot of places within a couple of blocks of Ewing Ave, I really like the Patron at Canons Ln. and Maido at Pope. Maido is a Japanese sake pub food place, with lots of wonderful small dishes, much like Spanish tapas. (maidosakebar.com).

As for hotels, I'm afraid I live here so I don't tend to stay in local hotels. Executive Inn is near the airport but I don't know how nice it is. There are a couple Hilton, Courtyard, etc. along Crittenden Dr. and Phillips Ln. that are new and probably pretty nice. The Brown and Seelbach downtown are certainly very nice, but not cheap.

Edited by Peterh (log)

The grocery store?

Derby Pie is a trademark of Kern's Kitchen. You might find a recipe for, say, horse race pie or whatever. It'll taste pretty much the same. It isn't an official Derby Pie unless they make it.

The Kern's kitchen site (derbypie.com) lists some places that will ship you a Derby Pie. I know I've seen them in other stores. I'm pretty sure they're often stocked at a lot of local supermarkets and even jumbo liquor stores like Liquor barn (liquorbarn.com).

Many restaurants have them on their menu, too. They buy, slice, and serve them, perhaps after adding some decoration. I think the Brown does this.