• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cafe Majestic, Ducca - San Francisco

weinoo

With all the chef changes and rumors swirling about regarding the Dining Room at the RC and Myth, two places we wanted to dine at during our visit to SF next month, there's a need for a few more potential dining spots, some of which were discussed here in the Ritz Carlton thread (Quince, Coi, Manresa, etc.).

Included in The Gates' Top Ten Dining Spots of 2007 are Cafe Majestic, Ducca, Perbacco, Laiola and a few others. SPQR sounds great, but we'd prefer to deal with places that take reservations. And we are definitely thinking about a bit of a drive up the coast to Nick's Cove :smile: .

Carolyn really liked Perbacco, and I was wondering if anyone has had experience with any of the others on that list? Been to Boulevard or Zuni recently? Fleur de Lys, perhaps? Danko? Please - inquiring minds want to know.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

My wife and I stayed at Nick's Cove for my birthday last year. It is a wonderful get away from the city. Many of the rooms are on Tomales Bay and are very cute. The sunsets can be beautiful. This view was from the back porch of the cabin we stayed in:

gallery_27569_3448_25530.jpg

We even had a bit of celebrity spotting, as Traci Des Jardin was staying in the next cabin.

On the other hand, because of coastal driving, it is probably about the same distance in time from SF as Los Gatos. It is pretty remotely located and the food/drink at the restaurant is nothing particularly special to write home about. American comfort food at a bit below quality/service level you'd get at the Buckeye Roadhouse and quite a bit above it in price.

Still, despite the food, we had a great time at the place.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Sorry I never posted it here (but on CH), but here is a December 16 report on Boulevard... Also, I don't think Zuni is quite what you are looking for as far a celebration is concerned. Because of this thread, I ate at Michael Mina this evening and will be writing that up in the next day or so. But here is my Boulevard report:

I often get dissed within this (Chowhound) community for continually referring folks *away* from Boulevard. Not having been in several months, a business luncheon on Friday was a perfect opportunity to go in with an open mind, hungry countenance, and no preconceived notions (i.e., it was an unknown restaurant as far as I was concerned).

For starters, we were seated very promptly in an exceptional seat with a grand view of the Bay Bridge. From beginning to end, service was exemplary -- from sommelier to waiter to busboy, we were given friendly, pleasant, perfect attention.

Three of us were great at sharing as we had three starters;

Tuna Tartare - Here's what it says on the online menu (I'm afraid I can't recall if it is currently on the printed menu): [served with] Ginger & White Soy, Spicy Avocado with Wasabi Tobiko

Pickled Daikon Radish,Togarashi Spiced Chips. In my mind, the consistency of avocado and tartare are so similar in mushiness to be a detraction. The creamy texture of the avocado does little to complement a good, fresh fish and I look at it as a way to mask a mediocre product. In a good tartare, I want the bright pungency and clean taste of a fresh fish and to me, the avocado ruins what may have very well been a great quality ingredient - but I couldn't tell.

Butternut Squash Agnolotti with Truffle Pecorino, Shaved Truffles - Three of them were quite plump, with a sweet creamy interior of squash. The pasta itself was thicker than I would have liked which meant that corner bites were mostly pasta and no filling. The three ravioli were topped with a rich Pecorino sauce and a few slivers of white truffle. I've had truffles at three or four different restaurants this year and with the exception of those at the French Laundry, have found them to be completely devoid of flavor. It is generally given that this is a bad truffle year and I personally would stop paying for any truffle supplements. The ravioli were good, but overall bland.

Cream of Porcini Mushroom Soup - You have to understand that I take my mushrooms VERY seriously so even run-of-the-mill mushroom soup makes me happy as this did. But it didn't soar and wow. With the prevalence of incredible wild mushrooms available, using porcinis almost seems proletariat.

For our entrées, two of the gentlemen both ordered the "Veal Saltimbocco with Prosciutto, Sage & Asiago Cheese, Yukon Gold Potatoes, Mushrooms Milanese, Arugula, Capers & Cherry Tomatoes" which was served with panko-fried mushrooms, an underliner of paper-thin, giant potato slices. and topped with tons of fresh greens. I had one bite and was shocked at how overly salty and chewy the veal was; pounded quite thin, the layering of Prosciutto made the mouth almost leathery. What I didn't get was the mushrooms -- I liked them, but they seemed an afterthought with everything else going on in the dish.

I, on the other hand, ordered pork which was served with mashed potatoes, a small square of blood sausage, red cabbage, and chunks of apple. My pork was very well prepared; tender and flavorful. I especially enjoyed the juxtaposition of the blood sausage in the dish. The cabbage, apples, and pork all worked well together and everyone enjoyed this as the best dish of the day.

Only a single dessert was shared, although we all had various dessert apertifs (sherry, port, and cognac). Being the one with the sweet tooth, I ordered the Sticky Toffee Pudding layered with Creme Caramel, served with Satsuma Tangerines, Candied Kumquats and Almond Biscotto. While the sticky toffee pudding was surprisingly dense and dry, the addition of the creme caramel masked that fact. The flavor was excellent and well-received.

Overall, I maintain that I see Boulevard as *generally* being over rated and undeserving of the praise it *generally* receives. Lest one think that I was the only person unsure and not thrilled with our lunch, my two guests were far from the critic that I am and THEY would not bother finishing their servings. As there were three ravioli, that course was finished as we each ate one but the tartare and the mushroom soup went back half-eaten. Both gentleman only ate half of their veal, unhappy with the saltiness of the dish and the toughness of the meat. Again, the service was exemplary. But the food just did not live up to the greatness that is the ambience of the interior, the stunning locale, or the fabulous employees. I wish I could love Boulevard, I really, REALLY do. Just like I wish I loved the Monaco because of the stunning, Art Nouveau interior, I could happily spend hours in such a setting and with the great service Boulevard offered, I'm sure I will be back, but I will no longer even expect to be blown away. I imagine I will only be sated if I am hungry.

My wife and I stayed at Nick's Cove for my birthday last year.  It is a wonderful get away from the city.  Many of the rooms are on Tomales Bay and are very cute.  The sunsets can be beautiful.  This view was from the back porch of the cabin we stayed in:

We even had a bit of celebrity spotting, as Traci Des Jardin was staying in the next cabin.

On the other hand, because of coastal driving, it is probably about the same distance in time from SF as Los Gatos. It is pretty remotely located and the food/drink at the restaurant is nothing particularly special to write home about.  American comfort food at a bit below quality/service level you'd get at the Buckeye Roadhouse and quite a bit above it in price.

Still, despite the food, we had a great time at the place.

Thanks for the report, Eric - we certainly like the drive up the coast more than down to Los Gatos, but for perfunctory food, well...I just really enjoy eating oysters in the shadow of Tomales Bay, but there are other choices for that Saturday afternoon lunch as well.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Sorry I never posted it here (but on CH), but here is a December 16 report on Boulevard...  Also, I don't think Zuni is quite what you are looking for as far a celebration is concerned. Because of this thread, I ate at Michael Mina this evening and will be writing that up in the next day or so. But here is my Boulevard report:

Thanks for the review, Carolyn - we've always enjoyed the room, views and service at Boulevard - with some, but not all, exceptional food, I leave it for a non-celebratory meal - perhaps even at the bar.

Thanks for the feedback on Zuni, too - exactly what I was thinking... a classic, but...

Looking forward to hearing about Michael Mina.

Tasty Travails - My Blog