• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

smoked hog jowls for guanciale?

zoe b

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/16/dining/16ital.html

I was just reading F. Fabricant's article in the Times about pasta all’amatriciana--and salivating. There is no source for guanciale anywhere near where i live, alas, but I have a package of smoked hog jowls in the freezer from our last pig--haven't used it because I wanted a special dish for it.

Now guanciale is salt cured, my jowls are smoked--could i soak or blanch it to get rid of the smokiness? Or is that absurd, and I should just enjoy the not authentic but delicious pasta dish I can make with the jowls?

Any thoughts?

Zoe

I was just reading F. Fabricant's article in the Times about pasta all’amatriciana--and salivating.  There is no source for guanciale anywhere near where i live, alas, but I have a package of smoked hog jowls in the freezer from our last pig--haven't used it because I wanted a special dish for it.

There are a number of online sources for Guanciale. Heritage Foods comes to mind, but I'm sure there are other (cheaper) options as well. Of course, I'm sure the all'amatriciana would be excellent with the jowl you have, as well.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I have some friends here in Italy that like to use smoked pork... for an extra flavour!

try it and see if you like it!

and next time just salt one, and smoke the other!

thanks, all, for the advice!

I will be on the lookout for guanciale now, when I'm out and about--especially will try Di Bruno's, zeffer81--there's a museum show coming up that I want to see so I will be in Philly not too long from now...

and thanks for the mail order source, Chris--it's saved for future reference (and when I'm feeling flush!)

and divina--will be making the variation with smoked jowls, as per your friend--and i think I'll go wild and add onions, too--you've made clear again how when a food writer writes down the "authentic" recipe it is only one "authentic" recipe--and possibly the "authentic" recipe for that day with those particular ingredients in the pantry. Variation is the rule, not the exception.

I make my mother's vegetable soup and her beef stew--but i bet I've made 100 changes to each recipe--depending on my mood and larder--but they are still hers--although she might not recognise them any longer.

Zoe

I made the pasta all’amatriciana with my jowls last night--from the NYT article--I did the tomato one--it was absolutely delicious!

It's one of those simple recipes that taste like a million bucks.

I truly think the smoked jowls are ideal--I agree with Divina's friend--they give extra flavor. I've never had guanciale, but if it tastes like fat back, it's pretty subtle (although delicious).

And I agree that that subbing bacon or prosciutto isn't the same. The texture of the jowls is essential--it's slightly crispy in parts, slightly bity, and not gelatinous, not meaty, not fatty--but something like a combo of all three qualities .

I used 1/3 of a pound rather than the 1/4 in the recipe--just the right amount--my only issue was that I can't break myself of using more sauce than is used in Italy--I just love sauce so much that i want more of it--so the recipe made sauce for 2 1/2 portions--2 for our dinner and enough for lunch one day.

Zoe