• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

5.5 Pound Pork Loin With Skin

constanela

I'm serving Christmas dinner for 6 this year. In the past, I've done very small pork loins (enough for 1-2 only) that took 20 minutes or so to cook and didn't have skin. This pork loin is an entirely different beast - 5 1/2 pounds, beautiful half inch layer of fat and skin on. My butcher recommended 15-20 minutes of "searing" in a 450 oven, followed by roasting at 350 until the internal temperature is 140. After a quick search on the internet, I've found loads of conflicting advice.

I'm wondering if those with more experience with this kind of meat can chime in with their recommendations. Score or no score? Fast or slow oven? Salt or a rub 24 hours before hand or not? Stab with a knife and insert shards of garlic? Help!

For the record, this is a certified humane meat vendor and the other pork cuts from this place (aforementioned small loins, pork chops) have been truly juicy and tasty with very little intervention by me - just a little salt & a hot pan.

I'd love to hear some advice.

Erin Andersen

WOW - this sounds like the traditional Danish Pork Roast that I have been trying to get for ages! Check out this site for information on how to cook this traditional roast.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

If the other pork was great, then I would keep it simple.

I would brine it, score the fat and skin so that it doesn't roll up as it cooks/crackles, and simple olive oil/pepper before going into a 350 oven with fat-side up. When it registers 140, turn on the broiler to finish up the skin. Take it out, remove the crackling, and rest with foil for 20 minutes.

For the record, this is a certified humane meat vendor

Certified by who? The pig? :rolleyes: