• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Review

TomDel

My wife and I tried the new Outback on Klockner Rd. and Rt. 130 South next to the Home Depot in Hamilton Twp. We got there around 5:30 PM and it was already pretty crowded, but we did get seated right away.

Since this was our first experience at an Outback, we naturally had to try the “Bloomin Onion” as an appetizer. It was actually pretty good and as it turned out, the best thing of the evening.

I had the 9 oz. Victoria’s “Crowned” Filet with Blue Cheese along with a salad and an order of the Aussie Chips. The salad was okay but nothing special. The chips were not crisp at all and only lukewarm as was the filet. I’ve been having bad luck with filets lately. This one I can only describe as spongy. It didn’t taste that bad but the texture was weird. The blue cheese seemed to be salad dressing not crumbled cheese.

My wife had the Baby Back Ribs with a salad and sides of Aussie Chips and Cinnamon Apples. The salad and chips were the same as above. The ribs were tender enough but in our opinion had too much BBQ sauce on them, but that’s just our preference. We both like ribs with little or even no sauce, i.e., Memphis style with just a dry rub. The real looser was the Cinnamon Apples. This concoction came out as a goopy, syrupy mess with a couple of chunks of apple. It was inedible.

We decided to forego coffee and desert as we wanted to get home to watch a hockey game.

One thing that was unusual was that we had a waitress who took our order, but everything else was brought to our booth by different people, e.g., drinks, appetizer, water, bread and entrée, each by a different person. I don’t know whether this was a planned process or just a coincidence. In analyzing it, it probably is a more efficient use of personnel, but it certainly seemed strange.

Since they’ve only been open about a month, I might give them another try in about six months or so. But I have to tell ya, I was disappointed as I had heard nothing but good things about this chain in the past and was glad to see one open near us. If tonight was the best they could do, then I think Longhorn’s has them beat hands down.

Why don't you try KC Prime next to Quakerbridge mall for a pretty decent steak. I'm not sure why people eat at places like Longhorn and Outback when there are really good alternatives at not much more $$.

IMO you should have left after the Bloomin Onion. I once had dinner at an Outback in Cancun and left everything on my plate but the onion. Poor quality steak but what can you expect for $15 or something.

Why don't you try KC Prime next to Quakerbridge mall for a pretty decent steak. I'm not sure why people eat at places like Longhorn and Outback when there are really good alternatives at not much more $$.

IMO you should have left after the Bloomin Onion. I once had dinner at an Outback in Cancun and left everything on my plate but the onion. Poor quality steak but what can you expect for $15 or something.

I’ve eaten at KC Prime a number of times for both lunch and dinner and quite frankly I haven’t been impressed with either their food or the service. To be honest, I think the Longhorns in Hamilton Marketplace has better steaks at half the price. If I want a really excellent steak, I’ll go to Pete Lorenzos in Trenton or the Old Homestead if I’m in AC.

Pete Lorenzo's isn't what it used to be. The steaks are way off and I'm not even sure if they still dry age the meat anymore. I was a frequent diner there until I saw a marked slip in quality. Can't beat the cavatelli and broccoli though.

Sadly there really are no places to get a great steak ala the better NY steakhouses in Trenton/Hamilton and even my area of Bucks County.

Pete Lorenzo's isn't what it used to be. The steaks are way off and I'm not even sure if they still dry age the meat anymore. I was a frequent diner there until I saw a marked slip in quality. Can't beat the cavatelli and broccoli though.

Sadly there really are no places to get a great steak ala the better NY steakhouses in Trenton/Hamilton and even my area of Bucks County.

I hate to admit it but I tend to agree with you regarding the quality of the steaks at Lorenzo’s. I’ve gone there a few times a year since the seventies and the last couple of times I’ve noticed that the steaks were not quite as tasty or as tender as they have been in the past. Hopefully, this is temporary and not a downward trend. As you correctly pointed out, Lorenzo’s is the only real steakhouse within a reasonable distance of the Trenton and the surrounding area.