• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jimmy Buff's to be featured on Travel Channel

John

Jimmy Buff's East Hanover, New Jersey hot dog restaurant was chosen as the East Coast "Hot Dog Palace" and will be featured on a new show called Food Palaces. This show will be aired on the Travel Channel sometime in December before Christmas. Jimmy Buff's is the originator of the Italian or "Newark Style" Hot Dog. They also serve Italian Sausage sandwiches and other style hot dogs as well. Their footlong is the same dog that was served at the famous Syd's. Jimmy Buff's prepares it a unique way. In my opinion it is the best hot dog not only on the east Coast but the whole country. It was also voted best hot dog on the recent New Jersey Hot Dog Tour. I'll post the day and time of the show as soon as I find out.

John the hot dog guy

• 2 weeks later...

I was told the name of the show would be Food Palaces, but it will be Food Paradise. The first installement will be Monday, Dec 17th at 9 PM eastern time, and will focus on hamburgers.

John the hot dog guy

Jimmy Buff's East Hanover, New Jersey hot dog restaurant was chosen as the East Coast "Hot Dog Palace" and will be featured on a new show called Food Palaces. This show will be aired on the Travel Channel sometime in December before Christmas. Jimmy Buff's is the originator of the Italian or "Newark Style" Hot Dog. They also serve Italian Sausage sandwiches and other style hot dogs as well. Their footlong is the same dog that was served at the famous Syd's. Jimmy Buff's prepares it a unique way. In my opinion it is the best hot dog not only on the east Coast but the whole country. It was also voted best hot dog on the recent New Jersey Hot Dog Tour. I'll post the day and time of the show as soon as I find out.

I'll be in the area next week and was curious about what makes it unique.

Also, I noticed from their website that they have four locations and the one in West Orange will be closer to where I will be. Are they equally good?

There are now only 3 restaurants; Irvington was sold. The Scotch Plains location is owned by Mike Raccioppi, who also owned the Irvington restaurant. Mike is the son of Jim Racioppi, a/k/a Jimmy Buff, the founder of the original Jimmy Buffs in Newark. Mike is older now and looking to sell the Scotch Plains location.

The other 2 restaurants, West Orange and East Hanover, are owned by Jim Raccioppi, grandson of the founder and nephew of Mike.

All locations specialize in the Newark style Italian Hot Dog. The product served is similar at all locations, but the sandwiches at Mike's locations had noticeably more oils. Many say they are too greasy, while others prefer the extra grease. I, myself prefer the sandwiches made at either East Hanover or West Orange.

East Hanover is the only location that serves what I consider to be hands down the best hot dog anywhere. At least the best beef hot dog. A milder German style beef and pork dog is a completely different type of dog and comparing it to a spicy kosher style dog is like comparing apples and oranges.

At East Hanover it is called the footlong. A 5 to a lb all beef natural casing Best's frank. The perfect width (not too fat) at a nice long length, this dog has a good snap and a great blend of spices. At Jimmy Buffs it is prepared perfectly. Sauteed in oil and finished off on a charcoal grill. This particular dog is the same one that was used at Syd's. There it was boiled first, then put on a gas grill. At Buff's you can get it boiled first if you request it, but I'd stick to the way they prepare it. Served hot, unlike some other places that serve their dogs barely warm, this dog is delicious. I would even rate it better than Syd's. There is no other beef dog that compares.

As good as this dog is, what makes Jimmy Buffs unique when discussing hot dogs nationally, is that they invented what is an original style of hot dog. Which is the Newark Style Italian Hot Dog. Others have since opened up restaurants specializing in them, but Jimmy Buffs was the first and has been family run since 1932. Not just a unique hot dog, but a unique regional food. Like Philly is known for their cheesesteak sandwiches, North Jersey is known for Italian Hot Dogs.

John the hot dog guy

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Eh, I went here a month or two ago. Wasn't too pleased at all. Not only was it very hot and humid inside, but the service/food was nothing too wowing. The hot dog itself was quite good, yet all the other condiments masked the flavor of everything and sogged the buns.

Perhaps another visit will soothe my unfortunate visit..one day...

Jim