• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Walnut pricing

MariaA

We use around a thousand pounds of walnut for the Christmas baking. Today we went shopping at Costco, they had a good price and quality for walnuts, and, I almost fainted when I saw the new price for walnut, $14.65 for a bag of 3 lbs, instead of $10.49.

I'm still in shock, because for our walnut sweet bread, we have to use good quality of walnuts, there is no shortcut, and we have taken already a lot of orders with the old price that we use to sell them.

Can somebody help us with a good source of walnut?

You're buying 1000 lbs. of walnuts by the bag at a grocery store? Probably too late for this year's baking but next year I'd do some google searching for a few walnut growers and ask about a large-volume direct price. The price per pound HERE matches your old price at the one pound level and drops off quite a bit as you buy more. Around $6 per pound for the 25 lb. box.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Nuts always go up at this time of year; it's a matter of supply and demand.

There is a nut company here in the Philadelphia area that I used when I had my bakery. I would suspect you have something like that near you, and you should be able to either get a quick delivery or pick the nuts up directly from them.

No help now, but in the future, you might think about buying your nuts before Thanksgiving, when the prices go up for the season.

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

Still more expensive than COSTCO, they have a bag of 3 lb=$14.69 that means $4.90 per lb, the price two days ago was $10.49 for 3 lbs, good price.

We did a lot of search on google and find a walnut farm selling for us $5.50 per lb.

Sorry, read that wrong. I probably can't help you much then. Nuts for <$5 lb. would be reason to dance where I live.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.