• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Advice on Dine Out New York certificate

Pan

Hi, everyone! A friend of mine got a Dine Out New York Birthday Certificate. Please help us evaluate her choices (I'll be dining out with her, so I'm not just a disinterested observer):

50/50 offer (Spend $50/Get up to $50: E.g., if the bill is $88, we pay $50, and if it's $100, we pay $60):

Brasserie (100 W. 53rd St.)

Brasserie 8 1/2 (9 W. 57th St.)

Cafe Centro (MetLife Building - 200 Park Av. at 45th St.)

Nick & Stef's Steakhouse (Madison Square Garden; not valid on MSG event nights before 8)

30/30 offer (same as above, but substitute $30):

Naples 45 (MetLife Building)

Your evaluations are eagerly awaited. I hope that at least one of these places is worthwhile. My friend does love her steak, and I also like steak, so a limited menu is not a problem as long as the steak is good, but of course, a variety of good side dishes and so forth is always good.

Michael aka "Pan"

50 views and no responses? That's lame! :raz:

Anyway, it turns out that she's already been to Nick & Stef's, so I need advice only on the remaining choices. Thanks.

Michael aka "Pan"

I ate at 8 1/2 about 4 years ago with the same type of coupon. The space is a bit dates but if you've never been you should check it out for the design alone. The "Norma Desmond" type staircase is really something.

The food while not extraordinary was good.

Hi, everyone! A friend of mine got a Dine Out New York Birthday Certificate. Please help us evaluate her choices (I'll be dining out with her, so I'm not just a disinterested observer):

50/50 offer (Spend $50/Get up to $50: E.g., if the bill is $88, we pay $50, and if it's $100, we pay $60):

Brasserie (100 W. 53rd St.)

Brasserie 8 1/2 (9 W. 57th St.)

Cafe Centro (MetLife Building - 200 Park Av. at 45th St.)

Nick & Stef's Steakhouse (Madison Square Garden; not valid on MSG event nights before 8)

30/30 offer (same as above, but substitute $30):

Naples 45 (MetLife Building)

Your evaluations are eagerly awaited. I hope that at least one of these places is worthwhile. My friend does love her steak, and I also like steak, so a limited menu is not a problem as long as the steak is good, but of course, a variety of good side dishes and so forth is always good.

In terms of food, I'm thinking Nick and Stef's might have the best options. However, Brasserie is a New York classic (at least among the nightlife set) and might be fun for that reasons. And Brasserie 8 1/2, as previously mentioned, is very interesting (if somewhat dated) visually, and was featured on Sex and the City, so it has pop culture value. Iwouldn't bother with Cafe Centro and Naples 45.

Edited by LPShanet (log)