• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Traditional hi-fat dishes in Paris

John Whiting

Cheese and cold meat is going to be my breakfast option, as it frquently is at home. I'd make an omelet, as I often do, but I'm staying with friends who eat bread and butter for breakfast, and I shouldn't fill their flat with such melifluous odors.

Benoit sounds inviting, but it's out of my price range. We'll be chewing the fat in more modest surroundings.

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

John - How about Le Chardenoux? It's right around the corner from A Souseyrac in the 11th if you know where that is. I haven't been there in years, but the taxi I was in drove past it last week and it looked inviting. About 5-6 years ago, I had a mighty fine pan sauteed veal chop with a huge pile of morels in a creamy mushroom sauce there. Another place we always liked that we thought was reasonably priced given what they served is Sud-Ouest Monceau in the 17th arr. It's a restaurant attached to a traiteur who specializes in delicacies from the Sud-Ouest. They serve a myriad of different foie gras dishes, both hot and cold, and each table is equiped with it's own toaster so you can get it just the way you like it. They also serve a great platter of pates and sausages, have a wine list that has reasonable choices of Cahors, and offer all the typical mains that come from the region. Their magret avec sauce miel might be right up your alley given your diet. It's sort of a local place as well, not many Americans. But everytime I've been there the place is full and bustling.

Honey is indeed a carbohydrate, but the amount that goes into a savory sauce is not likely to be nearly as generous as into a sweet dessert. Fortunately, my abstenance from carbs is not one of ritual denial, like an orthodox Jew and pork, so minor infractions are of little concern.

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

I can't believe the aroma of a simple omelet would be objectionable, assuming you offered to make one for your friends. I find that if my wife has a fried egg for breakfast, I need to have one too. I think it's the butter in the pan that arouses my desire. Perhaps a soft boiled egg is an option, although I suspect a good egg has an appealing aroma of its own. It's over half way to lunch. I'm glad I had a boiled egg this morning. The pity is that I have no idea of where I can get a good andouillette this afternoon.

:biggrin:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I can't believe the aroma of a simple omelet would be objectionable, assuming you offered to make one for your friends.
That's the problem! My friend (not his wife) has a voracious appetite and I could be making omelettes the rest of the morning. :biggrin:

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Margaret, yes, thanks - crise de foie.

Not consumption - neither tuberculan nor conspicuous - though a lovely euphamism.

Steve, yes, we live in the 7th, near rue Cler. Absurd location. Pinch me.

And John, we only went to Benoit because an extravagantly generous friend invited us to dinner there. It was my first Michelin-starred experience and unfortunately less than stellar. I knew the food would be classic, classic French but thought it was tired, while the service was rushed. The only glimmer of genius was the puff pastry with the champignons sauvages - perfectly golden and each ethereal layer distinct and crisp.

And speaking of eggs, fat and richness how about oeufs en meurette?