• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gfron1

gfron1

Curious if anyone's thoughts have changed on the matter since the last update on this thread. I've been thinking about sourcing a traditional Indian Ghantti but the ease of the NutriMill or KoMo has me intrigued.

On PHG's page the Nutri has this review which has me a bit concerned and seems to be at odds to Andiesenji's comments from a couple of years ago:

I've owned this grinder for over a year now and have put about 500 pounds of wheat through it. It works quite well as a wheat grinder as long as you can accept a slightly coarser than commercial flour texture. 

In general it has one design flaw, in that there is a screw holding one of the grind stones down that can back out. When it comes out, the adjustable grind knob refuses to stay in one position if you don't hold it. It took me a while to realize what was causing this annoying behavior. 

Another flaw is that the bottom stone does not actually come out of the grinder as it is supposed to. Not sure how I am going to be able to change stones as they wear out.

DO NOT buy this grinder if you expect to grind corn, beans, or basically anything larger than oats. It lacks a feed auger for large seeds so seeds slowly and irregularly drop into the stones, causing the machine to buck and jump around. I get through about 2 cups of corn before the machine overheats and shuts off completely. I've given up on grinding corn until I get a different mill. 

gfron1

gfron1

Curious if anyone's thoughts have changed on the matter since the last update on this thread. I've been thinking about sourcing a traditional Indian Ghantti but the ease of the NutriMill or KoMo has me intrigued. Thanks.