• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bix Restaurant, has anyone tried it?

rnsmelody

hi! i tried searching for reviews but its pulling up nothing. has anyone tried this restaurant? does anyone have photos and tell me what are your thoughts about this place for a nice romantic dinner for 2. I'm planning my bf's birthday dinner there. or should i pick somewhere else?

Here is my review of Bix -- I have returned often, mostly for their steak tartare, beef marrow bones, and potato puffs with caviar.

One of my favorite restaurants in the city and if you go, you MUST order a Sidecar!

Went to Bix a few months back for a much-welcomed night out (with two small kids, its hard for us to escape for a nice meal these days) and we enjoyed both the ambience and the food. The Potato Pillows with Creme Fraiche were a highlight, as were the Crab rolls with brioche and meyer lemon mayonnaise. If you're looking for a classic romantic experience (Dark interior, luxurious seating) Bix does have that. Due to its layout (2 floors with open center up to the ceiling), it can get noisy however.

Funny side story: as we were getting ready to leave and I was writing out the tip on the bill, my wife suddenly kicks me under the table. HARD. I look up with a bewildered yelp about to form when I catch her eyes directing me to look at the corner booth next to us. And who should have just been seated but Mayor Newsom, his girlfriend (Jennifer Siebel) and two other folks. To think I almost blurted out loudly, "What was that for?" (with possibly some other choice words included). :raz:

Edited by JayTee (log)

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the wonderfull replies. i will be going there this friday i cant wait to try the heriloom tomato cart there, if it is still in season. i think i am more excited than my bf :raz: thanks carolyn i will definately try the sidecar :biggrin: