• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocoa Powder: Packaged Quantities

A Patric

Hi all,

I have noticed that most of the mass-market cocoa powders sell in 8 oz containers. Some do have larger ones, such as 1 lb, but few have smaller.

Scharffen Berger has a 6 oz container, but Guittard's small one is 8 oz. Domori has a container that is slightly larger than 5 oz.

My question is this:

How many of you use your full 8 oz container within a reasonable amount of time, let's say 2-3 months maximum? This is keeping in mind that the shelf life of cocoa powder in terms of "best flavor" is quite a bit shorter than for solid chocolate.

Would a consistently smaller container actually help you to keep fresher powder on hand (let's say 3-5 oz)? Or, would you find a smaller container annoying in that you would use it up much too quickly.

Personally I have found that I end up having a too-large container sitting around for much longer than is good for aroma and flavor quality of the cocoa powder. I would much rather have smaller containers available. However, I may not use cocoa powder as much as some of you, which is why I'm specifically asking for opinions here in the Pastry & Baking forum.

All comments are welcome.

Best,

I would definitely say I use an 8 ounce container every 3 months, and I don't even think I do that much baking!

I wonder if storing it in the freezer would make any difference in keeping the aroma and flavor fresher for longer?

Emily

I think I've heard on this forum somewhere, but can't remember where, that cocoa powder lasts about 1 year, as without the volitile cocoa butter, it's not as susceptable to spoilage.

I buy mine in 50lb sacs and I usually have them 6 months until i'm out. In fact, I just made brownies with some of the cocoa powder that I've had for over a year in very hostile conditions...a former commercial kitchen that didn't have heat, and my garage that is also un-insulated so hot in summer and cold and wet in winter. airtight container is a must.

Edited by sugarseattle (log)

Stephanie Crocker

Sugar Bakery + Cafe

I have 4 kids so I do alot of baking. My boys have a hot chocolate recipe that they developed and they use lots of cocoa powder, especially on colder days! It is fun to watch an 11 year old boy mix sugar and cocoa together...to make his drink. I currently buy the Valrhona 3 kg box with each kg wrapped in it's own pouch. Sometimes I buy the 5kg Van Houten powder. We buy larger quantities because we use alot.