• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Watts Grocery

• 3 months later...

I've been there several times and would give it high marks. It is not in the same league as restaurants like Four Square or Nana's but it is not trying to be. It is a neighborhood bistro, with a lot of Southern specialties and variations on Southern specialties. I would say about half the dishes I've had there have been excellent, and half good. Best of all was the Krispy Kreme bread pudding. The people are very nice too, which is important to me. We usually sit at the bar, but have sat at a table once, for brunch. Actually, the service was not quite up to snuff, but the brunch was fantastic -- the majority of the people at the table declared it the best brunch place they had been to in Durham. Also, they are open late, which is huge, in my book.