• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foie for Five

mod*betty

Just read the below on foobooz and thought it might be of interest to this group. I have to admit while I support the right for the establishments to serve foie without being hassled, I myself have never had it. Which of the below places would give the best representation of the wonder that is foie gras to a novice like myself?

http://foobooz.com/2007/09/try-foie-gras-for-5/#more-3094

Bistro 7 -7 N. 3rd St.       

Brasserie Perrier - 1619 Walnut St.   

Caffe Casta Diva - 227 S. 20th St.       

Caribou Cafe - 1128 Walnut St.   

Django - 526 S. 4th St.       

Lacroix - 210 Rittenhouse Sq.

Le Bec-Fin - 1523 Walnut St.   

Little Fish - 6th & Catherine St.   

London Grill - 24th and Fairmont Ave

Matyson - 39 S. 19th St.       

Osteria - 640 N. Broad St.   

Rylei Restaurant - 7144 Frankford Ave

Salt and Pepper - 746 S. 6th St.       

Standard Tap - 2nd & Poplar St.   

Studio Kitchen - 424 N. 34th St.       

Susanna Foo - 1512 Walnut St.   

Twenty21 - 2005 Market St.   

Vetri - 1312 Spruce St.   

Vintage - 129 S. 13th St.       

Zinc - 246 S. 11th St.

Edited by Pam R (log)

<a href='http://retroroadmap.com' target='_blank'>Retro Roadmap - All the Retro, Vintage and Cool Old places worth visiting!</a>

I'm all for foie; and I'm all for $5 dishes. But I don't totally understand how this is supposed to work. Are we meant to just pop in to Le Bec-Fin for a little spot of foie? If so, great, but it seems unlikely, y'know? And what about Studiokitchen? As much as I'd relish the chance to have Shola's foie gras custard again (it's one of the best things I've ever tasted), it's not like he has ever charged by the dish: so what does this mean?

This strikes me as a weird fusion of political statement and restaurant-week promotion. And like a lot of fusion cuisine, I'm not sure it's all that well thought out, or that it works all that well.

Two recommended ways you could do this:

1) Pick a place with a comfortable bar to get a couple of small plates with a glass of wine and the foie sample (with perhaps the classic accompaniment of a glass of sauternes.) For this, I'd say Caribou, Zinc, or Vintage off the top of my head.

2) Pick a mid-priced BYO and have a nice evening out, including foie as one of your apps. Of the below restaurants, Matyson leaps out at me. Me, I'd probably shy away from places that don't seem like the most natural place to order foie, even if I otherwise really like those restaurants (Standard Tap, Little Fish.)

Personally, I think that even though the more expensive restaurants (Vetri, Osteria, Le Bec Fin, Brasserie, LaCroix) are justly renowned for their excellent foie gras, this would puts a lot of pressure on you. If you don't blow your dining budget for the month on one Very Fancy Meal Including The Legendary Foie Gras, you can try it a couple of times at a couple of different places. Besides, foie can seem like a different thing entirely depending on the presentation (let alone the preparation!) I know people who find fresh foie to be a bit much, but looove pate de foie gras, for example.

Foie for Five

Some Philadelphia chefs have gotten together to form a group, Philadelphia Chefs for Choice. They have organized to respond to animal rights groups who are against foie gras, line caught fish, veal, lobster and eggs.

Eggs?? :blink: What's the problem with eggs??

And if Studio Kitchen is really on the list, I'm coming back from Italy! :laugh:

it's too bad david ansill took it off his menu, that was my fave.  and tinto's was one of the best i've had as well but it's not on the list.  perhaps we could organize a foie tour?  ;)

A little throwaway comment in an Inky piece mentioned that several of the places that supposedly stopped serving foie gras will still serve it on request. Under the table, as it were. Ansill in particular strikes me as a likely foie gras speakeasy.

Just look the waitron in the eye, say "My friend Donald sent me", wink, and waggle your eyebrows.

Seriously, it might be worthwhile inquiring discreetly.

So does anyone have a real, correct list of who is truly participating? Or do we have to call around and hope that the restaurants aren't having their phones tapped by the HfPs and aren't afraid to say out loud that they're part of the protest.

:rolleyes:

Surely the chefs/restaurants that really are a part of this would want the correct information out there. Whom do we call to correct the information and confirm the truth? Who is disseminating this info without a fact check?? :unsure:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

"Fact Checking to the white Courtesy Phone please...."

Again - how the hell does this get out there with no backup??? Pretty irresponsible reporting if 15-20% of the places on "the List" aren't really part of it. WTF is up with that?? :hmmm:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Foie for Five

Some Philadelphia chefs have gotten together to form a group, Philadelphia Chefs for Choice. They have organized to respond to animal rights groups who are against foie gras, line caught fish, veal, lobster and eggs.

Eggs?? :blink: What's the problem with eggs??

And if Studio Kitchen is really on the list, I'm coming back from Italy! :laugh:

My guess is that the objection to eggs come from the rearing conditions associated with *most* commercial operations, which are pretty deplorable.

Martin Mallet

<i>Poor but not starving student</i>

www.malletoyster.com

So does anyone have a real, correct list of who is truly participating?

As of yesterday, Michael Klein had a list up on the Inky's Food & Drink blog that contained no errors I could spot.

StudioKitchen is still on the list, so there's at least one glaring error.

Someone, anyone, that was "in charge" of this promotion should have made a call to each and every participant and confirmed their participation prior to publishing this list in cybersapce or anywhere else. That's all I'm saying. Seems this list was slapped together from the list of places we know serve/have served foie in the past. Let's not forget that several restaurateurs caved to the pressure of HfPs and removed it from their menus. That being the case, a little telephone reconaissance might have been a good idea.

It's hard to look like an organized counter-protest when you don't really have a clue who your troops are. :wacko:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

So does anyone have a real, correct list of who is truly participating?

As of yesterday, Michael Klein had a list up on the Inky's Food & Drink blog that contained no errors I could spot.

StudioKitchen is still on the list, so there's at least one glaring error.

Someone, anyone, that was "in charge" of this promotion should have made a call to each and every participant and confirmed their participation prior to publishing this list in cybersapce or anywhere else. That's all I'm saying. Seems this list was slapped together from the list of places we know serve/have served foie in the past. Let's not forget that several restaurateurs caved to the pressure of HfPs and removed it from their menus. That being the case, a little telephone reconaissance might have been a good idea.

It's hard to look like an organized counter-protest when you don't really have a clue who your troops are. :wacko:

From what I was able to squeeze from one of my sources, I got the impression that when the list was being confirmed there may have been some confusion a little further down the line between participating in this particular event and merely joining the group Philadelphia Chefs for Choice. The former implies the latter, but not vice versa. I wouldn’t be too hard on the organizers; the errors on HFP’s list are far worse and less excusable.

Unless there were any recent changes, I believe everyone on the list is participating in the Foie for Five event except Bistro 7, Django, Studio Kitchen and Osteria. Caffe Casta Diva is on the fence, according to Food and Drinq.

Also, add N.3rd to the list of participating restaurants. I just confirmed directly with N. 3rd that Peter Dunmire has jumped on board and will be participating in the Foie for Five event.

Edited by Phila-Foodie (log)

Had a very nice dinner at Matyson on Friday, seated at the closest table to the door. Did not sample the foie gras, but we were nevertheless treated to a 45 minute bullhorn-belted tirade against Matyson's foie gras by the infamous protesters. Luckily, it was only audible when someone actually opened the door. Otherwise it was imperceptible.

I'm all for the humane treatment of animals. I'd love to talk to them about why they choose to protest these restaurants that carefully select their products from farms that treat the animals with respect, instead of protesting say, McDonalds, for example. Now that's something I could get behind. Anyone know if this group is an actual organization, or are they just gathering at a meeting point every Friday night to make the rounds?

I'm not trying to be hard on the organizers. It just seems counter-intuitive to me to attempt to show solidarity on an issue or host an event when there's this much confusion. For the record, the same goes for HfPs list. Whether I agree with them or not, they oughta have their shit together to appear legitimate and believable.

Perhaps explaining to the participating chefs what they were actually signing on for would have been appropriate?? :unsure:

I dunno. All seems pretty simple to me.

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I'm not trying to be hard on the organizers.  It just seems counter-intuitive to me to attempt to show solidarity on an issue or host an event when there's this much confusion.  For the record, the same goes for HfPs list.  Whether I agree with them or not, they oughta have their shit together to appear legitimate and believable.

Perhaps explaining to the participating chefs what they were actually signing on for would have been appropriate?? :unsure:

I dunno.  All seems pretty simple to me.

I’m not so sure that the fault lies entirely with the organizers with respect to each of the chefs who are now either not participating in the event or are on the fence.

And with this issue, I don't think it's all that simple. A lot of chefs and restaurateurs I've talked to who serve the product and support the cause behind closed doors are reluctant to do so publicly. If they did, there would be targets on their backs. Some don't want the hassle. Others may think they do but then have second thoughts. That's what makes solidarity in a case like this very difficult to maintain.

I'm not trying to be hard on the organizers.  It just seems counter-intuitive to me to attempt to show solidarity on an issue or host an event when there's this much confusion.  For the record, the same goes for HfPs list.  Whether I agree with them or not, they oughta have their shit together to appear legitimate and believable.

I’m not so sure that the fault lies entirely with the organizers with respect to each of the chefs who are now either not participating in the event or are on the fence.

And with this issue, I don't think it's all that simple. A lot of chefs and restaurateurs I've talked to who serve the product and support the cause behind closed doors are reluctant to do so publicly. If they did, there would be targets on their backs. Some don't want the hassle. Others may think they do but then have second thoughts. That's what makes solidarity in a case like this very difficult to maintain.

Fair enough. But this is a very public display of counter-protest. Either you sign on or you don't. There's no fence to sit on that won't leave a scar on your butt for sitting on it. The whole point of the counter-protest is to rub the bad puppies noses in their own soil, is it not? Or shall we hit them with the metaphorical rolled up newspapers instead? :rolleyes:

This "list" of counterprotesters was public information from the get-go. There's no hiding from that. Either you're part of the solution or you're willing to be part of the problem. Seems self-evident to me. Supporting the cause "behind closed doors" is meaningless in this context. There's no clandestine way to be part of an advertised "$5 Foie Campaign". If you've signed on, then your restaurant/reputation is out there. If you feel there's a bullseye on your back, then you capitulate, or better yet, don't sign on in the first place. End of story. There's very little grey area here. If they don't want the "hassle" then they shouldn't sign up for an event whose details will be made public. Grow a pair and put your reputation where your mouth is or STFU. Plain and simple.

If the problem is truly that of not explaining to the chefs what they were signing on for, then my problem with that fact set was explained a few posts ago. Solidarity is crucial in making any impact whatsoever, in the face of such poor organization. Any and all credibility is lost once the capitulation and appearance of cluelessness sets in.

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

How long is this promotion going on? Is it just this week or all through October? I'd love to plan a Foiecathalon for a night off. Given the confusion I'd call ahead and check to be certain our chosen target restaurants were actually participating. We could plan a little circuit and hit all the places on/west of Rittenhouse for a foie appy in each locale. What say ye?

I'll also take two statin pills that morning. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Fair enough. But this is a very public display of counter-protest. Either you sign on or you don't. There's no fence to sit on that won't leave a scar on your butt for sitting on it. The whole point of the counter-protest is to rub the bad puppies noses in their own soil, is it not? Or shall we hit them with the metaphorical rolled up newspapers instead? :rolleyes:

This "list" of counterprotesters was public information from the get-go. There's no hiding from that. Either you're part of the solution or you're willing to be part of the problem. Seems self-evident to me. Supporting the cause "behind closed doors" is meaningless in this context. There's no clandestine way to be part of an advertised "$5 Foie Campaign". If you've signed on, then your restaurant/reputation is out there. If you feel there's a bullseye on your back, then you capitulate, or better yet, don't sign on in the first place. End of story. There's very little grey area here. If they don't want the "hassle" then they shouldn't sign up for an event whose details will be made public. Grow a pair and put your reputation where your mouth is or STFU. Plain and simple.

If the problem is truly that of not explaining to the chefs what they were signing on for, then my problem with that fact set was explained a few posts ago. Solidarity is crucial in making any impact whatsoever, in the face of such poor organization. Any and all credibility is lost once the capitulation and appearance of cluelessness sets in.

Truer words were never spoken, Katie. I agree 110%.

Count me in for the foiecathalon.