• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NYC Bars for Parties

lucid

Looking to host a birthday party in NYC where I can invite a bunch of friends to just come and meet, without renting a special room or hosting an open bar special. I am looking for a great bar that would not be absolutely packed on a Friday evening - not a dive and not too too upscale - that could accomodate around 20 (possibly rowdy) people. I have not lived in NYC for years but would prefer something downtown.

HELP!!

on Friday night post Labor Day? 20 people? not a dive bar and not crowded?

oy.

none of these are great bars but they should be able to handle you if you come early enough (i.e. have most people there by 10 before they get crowded)...some of these have back gardens:

Sweet & Vicious, d.b.a (actually a pretty good bar), Spring Lounge, Niagara downstairs (but you definitely need to be there early with a group that size), 2A is never really crowded (especially upstairs).

none of these are great bars but what you're asking for is a tall order.

I'd go as early as you can, definitely before 10. The Magician on the LES is pretty close to divey, but it worked really well for my last large group outing, in part because it's a wide space. I also like Blue Owl in the E. Vill for meeting groups of friends out - they have pretty good cocktails. dba was actually our last happy hour locale and it is a good spot. They have a notable beer/whiskey selection, but it gets very crowded later in the night. I like Von too, but it can get really crowded.

A good friend has had 2 bday parties in a row at Tapeo 29 on the LES. The owner has been incredibly accommodating about having a large party and not paying a rental or open bar fee. You might give them a call. Tapas makes it easy for informal eating around the bar space, and the sangria was pretty tasty.

if your group is early enough (think 6 or 7) Pegu Club might work with you (far far better than the other bars)...but if you're looking at post-dinner...you're better off picking any larger bar and just hoping your friends show up in staggered groups...

I was looking for something similar last year for my birthday and I ended up at Bua on St. Marks Place, which worked out well. The staff there is helpful and drinks are very reasonable. It can get crowded on a Friday night, but they'll set aside a table/section of the bar for you--the only thing is that you have to be there by 9 or 10 to claim it.

Sweet & Vicious, d.b.a (actually a pretty good bar), Spring Lounge, Niagara downstairs (but you definitely need to be there early with a group that size), 2A is never really crowded (especially upstairs).

none of these are great bars but what you're asking for is a tall order.

d.b.a. will resemble a cattle pen on a Friday evening; I'd avoid it at all costs.

Sweet and Vicious is a nice suggestion: Spacious, big backyard area, and pleasant. Some other options:

-Royale on Avenue C between 8th & 9th Streets is a theoretically divey, but really quite middle-of-the-road, bar with excellent burgers and a nice back garden.

-Eight Mile Creek on Mulberry btw Prince and Spring has a downstairs area which can get packed later on, but is actually relatively mellow until about 11 or so.

-M&R Bar downstairs from Marion's on Bowery between Great Jones and 4th is usually quiet, even on weekend nights. There are about three decent-sized areas where you could all sit.

-Lederhosen on Grove might be a nice option, especially if the party's in the near future (for that Oktoberfest vibe).

[EDIT: What's your criteria for "great," incidentally? Given that there are a number of options, it might be possible to narrow the list down somewhat depending on your tastes.]

Edited by Mayur (log)
Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"