• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need suggestions for Gettysburg, please.

pax

I am helping organize a get together of handlers from the National Sheepdog Finals which are being held in Gettysburg this month.

I was hoping to find a not-too-expensive place for a bunch of non-foodies to get together at dinner time, and I could really use some help with suggestions from anyone who knows the town a little bit.

Thanks in advance.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

Many, if not most, of the restaurants in Gettysburg cater to tourists who have trekked around on the battlefield and through the gee-gaw shops all day, so they are pretty casual and, I think, uninteresting both in terms of food and atmosphere. This may not matter much to your fellow enthusiasts, who you describe as non-foodies. One place that is good is a rather smallish Mexican restaurant, El Costeno, located in an unprepossessing strip mall anchored by a dollar-type store approximately three blocks west of the square. Although there are booths around the outside of the dining room, the restaurant, if given notice and depending on the size of your group, could string together several tables in the center of the room.

I also understand there is a brew-pub outside of town, but I haven't been there so I can't vouch for it.

More expensive, but pretty good, is the Cashtown Inn, a few miles west of Gettysburg.

we were in gettysburg in june. we stopped by el costeno, but the place was empty and kinda dark and uninviting from the outside, so we didn't bother. so we went up to appalaichan brewing co. i've had their beers plenty of times, and consider them mostly pretty good but not memorably so. for some reason that evening i really enjoyed them, though. the food, not so much. it was edible, but not good per se. kinda the standard brewpub fare.

good coffee the next morning at the ragged edge on chambersburg st, though.