• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine grape genome decoded, flavor genes found

Don Giovanni

Wine grape genome decoded, flavour genes found

Click On Me

Scientists in France and Italy have deciphered the complete genetic code for the plant producing wine grapes, according to a study published Sunday.

While the findings will do nothing to enhance the mystique of winemaking, they could pave the way for gene-based manipulations to boost flavour and improve resistance against disease.

Pinot Noir, the signature grape of the famous Burgundy wine region in northern France

Pinot Noir grapes. Scientists in France and Italy have deciphered the complete genetic code for the plant producing wine grapes, according to a study published Sunday.(AFP/File/Robyn Beck)

I don't necessarily mind using GM to improve resistance, but I hope they leave the flavor genes alone. Wine is romance and art. Playing with the flavor genes ruins that.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I don't necessarily mind using GM to improve resistance, but I hope they leave the flavor genes alone. Wine is romance and art. Playing with the flavor genes ruins that.

I agree this is my worst fear...

Just wait, they'll splice the grapes with pig DNS and produce pigs with Pinot for blood.

Or, they add it to cow genes and we"d get a whole heard of beef burgundy :cool::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

Just wait, they'll splice the grapes with pig DNS and produce pigs with Pinot for blood.

Or, they add it to cow genes and we"d get a whole heard of beef burgundy :cool::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

They could do just that...this is what I am most worried about...this is manipulation down to the gene...crazy mad...

:unsure::rolleyes::blink::angry: