• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocktail and Wine Bars in the Triangle

BryanZ

I'm newly turned 21 and am looking for serious cocktail and wine bars to expand my knowledge of the drink. Staying in Durham is ideal, but I'll travel for quality beverages.

In particular, I'm looking for cocktails bars with a focus on the craft behind the drink. Does such a place exist in the area? A wine bar with steady turnover, diverse selection, and a knowledgeable staff would also be nice.

Also, does anyone in Durham do serious wine tastings?

• 1 month later...

Tough call.

Best wine shop near you is Chapel Hill Wine Co, if you are looking for education, they taste on Saturdays.

Vin in downtown Raleigh has small pours 1.5 oz available for a couple bucks and you can taste through a lot of wines. Overall, there list is not that large actually.

I like the wine list at South, but most selections are by the bottle not glass.

Best advice is to find a tasting group and a great retailer who will educate you and help you discover what you love. Sign up and contact every wine shop so you can get in on tastings. Cheers.