• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need recs for 5th Anniversary

PieMistress

Hi, all:

We are getting together with our neighbors for a 5th anniversary NYC trip next February (08). I would like to make reservations if necessary very early for our formal dinner.

Here are our agreed upon requirements and ideas:

1) Excellent food, perhaps not super bizarre, as the male half of our neighbor couple is kind of squeamish about "weird" things - Sushi is okay with everyone.

2) We would like to pay up to $250/person, but including wine or wine pairing...so no Per Se.

3) No classic, heavy French or an atmosphere that is very "stuffy" and formal. No steakhouses or Bobby Flay.

4) Planning on lunch at Jean Georges on Sat.

5) The rest of the meals reasonably priced, we are staying near the Park at the St. Regis - anyone hear anything about Alain Ducasse's new restaurant in the St. Regis (Adour)? Would that be worth our formal night?

Any other must-sees as you wish.

Thanks!

Maybe a place like Lupa or Ssam Bar for one of the "reasonably-priced" meals.

EMP, the Modern, Cafe Boulud, Bouley, Le Bern, Gramercy, WD-50?, for your less reasonably priced meals. You should be able to keep within budget at those places.

Don't forget to have a drink at a great cocktail bar.

Great choice for your Saturday lunch!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Maybe a place like Lupa or Ssam Bar for one of the "reasonably-priced" meals.

EMP, the Modern, Cafe Boulud, Bouley, Le Bern, Gramercy, WD-50?, for your less reasonably priced meals. You should be able to keep within budget at those places.

Don't forget to have a drink at a great cocktail bar.

Great choice for your Saturday lunch!

WD-50 is perhaps the opposite of "not super bizarre," though!

I would definitely recommend Eleven Madison Park, The Modern - Bar Room, or Gramercy Tavern for your less reasonably priced meals as well.

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure