• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sandy Hook casual?

MJP

I'm going to Sandy Hook with the girlfriend this week sometime and we'd like to have some decent dinner on the way back. Good seafood is a big +, but we don't want to have to do dressy. Otherwise we're good for anything.

Any suggestions? I'm not too familiar with the area, so anything on the way back from Sandy Hook or a reasonably not-far distance from the area is preferable.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

Bahr's Landing just off the bridge by Sandy Hook. It has a nice outside patio on the inlet also a bar . Food is good and it it casual dress, just above Bahrs is another restaurant,not sure of the name, it also has outside dining, last Monday it looked very busy .

Bahr's Landing just off the bridge by Sandy Hook. It has a nice outside patio on the inlet also a bar . Food is good and it it casual dress, just above Bahrs is another restaurant,not sure of the name, it also has outside dining, last Monday it looked very busy .

Soory to disagree..would NOT reccomend Bahrs except for drinks...there are a lot of other great places within a mile or 2 in the Atlantic Highlands. Bhars has frozen refried food, mediocre fresh stuff, and very hefty tab for what it serves

check out this thread

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=101795&hl=

http:/www.etuinc.com

We were at the NJ shore this weekend and we had two great dinners--Brandl in Belmar and Dish in Red Bank.

We also had a very good recent dinner at Thyme Square in Red Bank.

If you haven't been to Red Bank lately, you must go. There are a ton of nice restaurants from casual to fancy and the people walking all over makes you think that you took a wrong turn and wound up in Europe.

I used to go there in the 1980s for business and it is an entirely different place. If you haven't been there recently, you must go.

Hope this helps, I realize it's not on the way back to northern NJ.

There are a ton of nice restaurants from casual to fancy and the people walking all over makes you think that you took a wrong turn and wound up in Europe.

The Smart car test drive program on Saturday probably had something to do with that "European" feel. :laugh:

BTW: Took the family for a late lunch at Murphy Style Grill and everything was over-oily (soggy fries, saturated salad, oily-bread sandwich). Would not recommend going there for food. Walking around, Red caught my eye for a nice, upscale casual destination.

Edited by jim07044 (log)

I noticed that they were driving these small telephone booths. Didn't get a chance to try them.

In addition to Dish and Thyme Square, Red did look good. Sogno is good, but eat outside or you'll go deaf. I've heard Bienvenue and Two If By Sea are good, too.

It's hard to miss in Red Bank. Sorry the Murphy Grill didn't work. It was crowded when we walked by.

The stores are fun to look in , also.

A great place to stop and only a couple of miles from Sandy Hook is

BAY AVENUE TRATTORIA.

Casual but the food is fabulous and it is BYO to boot.

Bring your favorite wine and enjoy.

You can look at the menu at www.bayavetrattoria.com

Tom

Tom D

• 4 weeks later...
A great place to stop and only a couple of miles from Sandy Hook is

BAY AVENUE TRATTORIA.

Casual but the food is fabulous and it is BYO to boot.

Bring your favorite wine and enjoy.

You can look at the menu at www.bayavetrattoria.com

Tom

I know it's a bit late but as far as Bay Ave Trattoria, it is owned and run by the couple who had run Joe & Naggies Bistro in Long Branch. The food is good, but you definately need to make a reservation for dinner.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak