• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Velveeta

Carrot Top

29 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

I have been instructed locally by "the eaters" the only appropriate cracker for this cheese ball is Melba toast rounds, preferably pumpernickel or rye.   They said saltines are for spray cheese.   Didn't know about so many rules!

I'm reminded of French hosts who told of visiting an American family.   They were there for several days when their American host mentioned that they, the French, would probably enjoy some wine with dinner.   "Well, yes, that would be lovely!"  So they went to the state liquor store and found a bottle of wine.   Outside, the wife said, "We should have some cheese with this wine."   "How thoughtful of you!"   So they went into a supermarket and asked their French friends, "What color do you prefer, yellow or blue?"    The French people didn't understand, so it was explained, "Yellow can or blue can?"   Ah.   "Spray cheese,"

• Confused 1

eGullet member #80.

Times  do change .

Id really like to have tried

the Veleeta , before its 

changes .   

w Modernest Cuisine 

rats 

I can't pretend any more 

Id rather just pick it up

and have it last

for quite some time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I may have said this before, but I find Velveeta really helpful for stabilizing cheese soups and sauces - especially if you are going to try to freeze them.  When my grandmother had a stroke and had daily care providers, she complained that they were terrible cooks (most of them were very young).  So I made a bunch of things that I knew she'd like and took them down in portions to stock her freezer.  One of the things that I took was broccoli-cheese soup - which I'd never had much luck in freezing.  I subbed half the Cheddar in the recipe for Velveeta and it worked great.  

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I'm reminded of French hosts who told of visiting an American family.   They were there for several days when their American host mentioned that they, the French, would probably enjoy some wine with dinner.   "Well, yes, that would be lovely!"  So they went to the state liquor store and found a bottle of wine.   Outside, the wife said, "We should have some cheese with this wine."   "How thoughtful of you!"   So they went into a supermarket and asked their French friends, "What color do you prefer, yellow or blue?"    The French people didn't understand, so it was explained, "Yellow can or blue can?"   Ah.   "Spray cheese,"

Spray cheese has its place....atop a ripple potato chip with a dot of sriracha

• Like 1