• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BLT Market

Fat Guy

I'm sorry; I wasn't clear.

I agree that BLT Market was fully review-worthy. I think it was wrong for Bruni to dismiss it as he did.

My point about gimmickry was that the "market ingredients" concept there doesn't seem like a felt necessity, a genuine esthetic and philosophical choice, as it did at, say, Savoy, and the countless Brooklyn restaurants that sprang from Savoy's kitchen, and the Blue Hill restaurants. Rather, it's clearly a gimmick adopted by a corporation for its new restaurant (and applied in an overly obvious manner, to make sure that a broad audience "gets" it: you don't see Dan Barber putting a list of what's in season on the side of menu) -- just the way the corporate owners of a bunch of chain restaurants might decide to branch into Mexican.

This isn't bad in itself. The proof, as always, is in the pudding. I.e., what's on your plate. It would have been an interesting theme to explore in a full review (rather than a back-of-the-hand Dining Briefs blurb).

Especially since the food at BLT Market isn't bad at all.

Edited by Sneakeater (log)