• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Steamed cheesecake?

Wesley1

I recently found steamed cheesecake at my local asian market and wonder about how to make it myself. I am also curious whether regular cheesecake can be steamed and if so, what the outcome would be like.

Info on other topics relating to this or recipes would be great.

Thanks, Wes

cheesecake is basically a custard set with eggs like creme brulee and others. all can be steamed.

often, cheesecake is baked in a waterbath anyway to control the heat and allow the protein coagulation in the eggs to be treated more delicately so that you have a nice smooth and creamy custard.

full steam instead of a waterbath should work reasonably well, you just have to control the condensation that might occur on top of the cheesecakes...you could steam them in individual portions and keep them covered in the steamer.

Wrap the cover of your steamer with a towel to catch the condensation. And, when you lift up the cover, do it with one swift motion, lifting the cover away from the pot, so that no water drops on your cake.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah