• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rougié Foie Gras in the tins (cans)

markk

If anybody has experience with these products, could you please comment on how they are? I've never really been sure what quality they are or how good they are, even though I see them in "better" stores everywhere. Thanks!

gallery_11181_3516_31363.jpg

gallery_11181_3516_26277.jpg

gallery_11181_3516_33780.jpg

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

If anybody has experience with these products, could you please comment on how they are?  I've never really been sure what quality they are or how good they are, even though I see them in "better" stores everywhere.  Thanks!

gallery_11181_3516_31363.jpg

gallery_11181_3516_26277.jpg

gallery_11181_3516_33780.jpg

Bonjour!

Rougié? :wacko:

Being the daughter of a French diplomat who was in Beijing from 1983 until 1986, my parents sort of had to "entertain" and had to go to the "Friendship store" (open to expats only) to get such delicacies as Foie Gras, cheap caviar (the joys of communism) and the occasional Nutellla or overly salty danish blue cheese.

Anyhow, my Mom reluctantly had to purchase some for a 14 juillet cocktail party and she didn't even serve it considering how terrible it was: sh...loads of money down the drain :shock:

Some 20 years later, I am now working in the hospitality business and was recently invited at a party that was partly sponsored by Rougié: verdict? Basically, not only is it overpriced but it gives a bad name to what otherwise could be a food of the gods :raz:

IMO, and although I'm a chauvinistic French girl, you're much better off getting some excellent American Foie gras(probably cheaper & easier to get than the French stuff) than this nasty oxydated overly rich crap.

Didn't mean to offend anyone with my comments but my liver still resents my preatty dreadful recent experience :wink:

Rougie is cheap in duty free stores all over the world. It's one of the things I keep in my pantry for ski trips. It's garbage compared to the fresh product, but bread toasted in a bit of melted canned foie to go with your morning breakfast is nothing to complain about. It's also good as a filling for ravioli.

Rougie is cheap in duty free stores all over the world.  It's one of the things I keep in my pantry for ski trips.  It's garbage compared to the fresh product, but bread toasted in a bit of melted canned foie to go with your morning breakfast is nothing to complain about.  It's also good as a filling for ravioli.

Rougié should award you a medal :biggrin:

Joke aside you are very much right, garbage in comp to the real thing but otherwise decent! See, I'm just a spoiled girl from Aveyron who was lucky to make homemade FG with my grandma as a kid :rolleyes:

And I'll remember the ravioli filling trick! thanxxx!