• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gourmet Cooking Clubs

I've been searching for info on eGullet about gourmet cooking clubs without much success.

I am going to start one locally, have about 3-4 more participants (whom, with spouses will bring it to 8-10) and don't want to get too crazy early in the game.

What might be the best way to start, to find our rhythm ?

Once per month, themes? Each bring a dish? (If so, how do you keep everything fresh tasting?) A different cookbook per month?

who decides on who does what? Do you just pick a recipe and hope it fits?

I obviously need help................ :wink:

Kathy (who LOVES to entertain :laugh: )

My church used to have a club like that. We met once a month and each person/couple brought one dish. The general theme was cooking around the world so each month we would agree on a different country and bring authentic dishes from that country. It was nice for about a year and then it sort of dwindled away as people got too busy.

I've belonged to one for 3 years. We used to cook exclusively from one magazine(ugh) but since we've had some membership changes we've branched out considerably.

We rotate homes and everyone brings a dish whenther it be something ready to go or to be finished at the hosts house. Not all of us have fantabulous gargantuan kitchens so it's just not feasible to have 8 cooks in the kitchen :biggrin:

The host picks the theme whether it be regional, focusing on one ingredient, a certain course(all deserts), cooking from one cookbook or an issue of a magazine, we've done high tea....sky's the limit. The host usually provides the drinks and the main course.

Sometimes we'll take a break from cooking and go to an ethnic restaurant or do dinner and a food themed movie.

It make take you a while to find your groove, and members will come and go, but you'll end up with a "core group."

Knowing that you're in the heart of California Wine Country, why not designate a local wine or winery as the theme for each dinner, and have members prepare dishes to showcase particular attributes of the wine(s)? :wink:

SB (kind of like "pairing in reverse" :smile: )

Kristi~

You'd been involved with the Cooking Light ones, right? I think I remember that from an old post.

Do you have spouses involved?

Yes-but none of us subscribe to the magazine anymore and our new members never have.

Their message boards are still a good way to find members as there are plenty of clubs out there that don't cook from the magazine.

I also remember reading in the July issue of BA about supper club planners on their website...

Generally we don't have spouses involved but one pops up every now and then. Or someone will invite a friend/relative.

Edited by KristiB50 (log)