• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pie Crust: Tips & Troubleshooting

jende

I recommend using Trader Joe's brand graham crackers for a graham cracker crust.  

Sadly, I have to drive to Dallas to go to Trader Joe's. I do so at least twice yearly.

Used the vanilla wafer and coconut crust idea. Turned out pretty well. Way too sweet for me but brother and husband liked it. 

attachicon.gifcoconut cream pie.jpg

unsweetened coconut would probably cut the sweetness considerably.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

unsweetened coconut would probably cut the sweetness considerably.

I think I will buy some next time in am in OKC, to have on hand. That said, both my brother and husband have a sweet tooth and I made it for them. In fact my husband just said "Good pie Dear", as he finished a piece for breakfast. The thought of something sweet, especially that sweet, for breakfast makes me feel a little queasy!

I really appreciated your help with the crumb crust. It stuck to the pan slightly but was otherwise successful and certainly easier that a pastry dough, which I used last time (pic below). It seemed buttery enough when I was patting it into the pan. Do you use pan spray on your pan before this type of crust or was it the excess sugar?

DSC02483.JPG

• Like 3

This is great- I am making a key lime pie tomorrow and I wasn't thrilled with the idea of a graham cracker crust. I'm trying out the nilla wafer crust- thanks for the idea!

I'm not normally wild about graham crusts either but I made a key lime pie a few days ago and had a wonderful surprise.  I used graham cracker crumbs, butter, and 1/2 cup sugar (for two crusts), then baked the crusts for 10 minutes.  Added the lime filling and baked on lower than normal heat -- about 325 -- for 40 minutes.  Somehow, the crust kind of caramelized -- it was extra crunchy and had a deep browned butter/caramelized sugar flavor that was addictive.  I don't know whether it was the pre-baking or the longer, slower final baking that did it.  Will obviously have to try to recreate this success!

• Like 2

I think I will buy some next time in am in OKC, to have on hand. That said, both my brother and husband have a sweet tooth and I made it for them. In fact my husband just said "Good pie Dear", as he finished a piece for breakfast. The thought of something sweet, especially that sweet, for breakfast makes me feel a little queasy!

I really appreciated your help with the crumb crust. It stuck to the pan slightly but was otherwise successful and certainly easier that a pastry dough, which I used last time (pic below). It seemed buttery enough when I was patting it into the pan. Do you use pan spray on your pan before this type of crust or was it the excess sugar?

attachicon.gifDSC02483.JPG

I don't use pan spray.  There is enough butter in the mix to keep it from sticking, usually.  Possibly it was the sugar in the coconut caramelizing and sticking.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett