• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

great restaurant in ironbound district

lorib

Seabra's Marquiseria. It's a very smalll place on a sides treet off of Ferry a few blocks past Iberia. Specializes in fresh seafoood and it's awesome. Be prepared to do some pointing on the menu - none of the waiters I've had could speak English. They have an incredible garlicky seafodd puree soup and sometimes on weekends also have roast suckling pig and a special. It may be a Seabra's but it's not a big heavily commerical operation like some of their other operations - it's small and very much a neighborhood place.

Actually I am partial to Seabras Rodizio at Meditteranean Manor on Jefferson. This has become our Rodizio place of choice and we had one of the eGullet dinners here. Also their a la carte stuff is very good in particular their fish.

For traditional iberian fare definitely Casa Vasca but as Rosie says go early or make a reservation. Their paella cannot be beat.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Marquisedeira - 87 Madison Street, off Lafayette

Take Route 280 East or West to Route 21 South, Ironbound exit, 2 miles

to Lafayette Street, Left turn, 8 blocks, left on to Madison.

instructions sound more complicated than they are, but it often a good idea to print out a map since many Newark streets lack signage.

Ironbound is a delightful place to wander on a Saturday afternoon in Fall. Shops are open

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Having grown up in Newark, I think I've probably eaten in almost all the Iberean spots in the area, which consequently led to my growing interest in Thai food. My favorites however have been : Casa Vasca for excellent spanish cuisine, or if you want to try something more Portuguese go for Tony da Caneca's. I think they have a website ( tonydacaneca.com )

You won't find any truly authentic cuisine in the area BUT any place you go you can be assured of two things: You will go home full AND no one will want to kiss you after all that garlic gets in your system.

I agree with many of the above posters, go to Casa Vasca. Go early or be prepared to wait. We generally don't even try on a Saturday the wait is so long. But it is worth it. Or, you could go at lunch time. Everything is so good there nothing to warn you against or particularly recommend. It is one of those places where the prices are slightly cheaper at the bar, but that area is very smokey, so only sit there if you are cigarette smokers. They have their own parking lot, just before the restaurant (which is on the corner of Elm and Prospect) on Prospect. Click here for driving directions.

Spanish Sangria is good, but not good enough for a special occasion.

Many of the others listed are places I want to try.

Just ate at Casa Vasca last night. Shared an order of Shrimp in Garlic. Shrimp were just ok, but the garlic was delicious. They have some very good rolls at the table, and there were quite a few that were subsequently drowned in the garlic sauce. We all shared some White Sangria, which they make very well. Had Grilled Monkfish in garlic sauce for dinner, which was very good, but lots of garlic(you could smell me for miles away). They had an extensive list of specials: grilled grouper steak, cod fish, whiting in green sauce, stuffed cod with crab meat, beef ribs, and more that I don't remember. Almost forgot, before the Apps even came to the table, they come around with complimentary soup for all who so desire. Last night it was lentil, but I was hoping for my favorite, chickpea soup, that they make wonderfully.

Yield to Temptation, It may never come your way again.

--Lazarus Long

I ate at Casa Vasca last fall and although I enjoyed it, especially the garlic soup (which had me reeking for a day or so!), I like Marqueseria better. One of my dining partners had the garlic shrimp and it was the same back then - the shrimp were medium to small in size and seemed to be failry average frozen shrimp but the garlic sauce was pungent and wonderful. I had the seafood paella Valenciana. It was adequate but I think Iberia does a better job with this dish. I also found the shrimp to be far superior at Iberia. There were fare fewer of them but they were excellent texture and taste and nicely butterflied before grilling. Casa Vasca had better atmosphere than Iberia or Marquisertia (white linen tablecloths etc.) but I still think Marquiseria has better food. I have yet to talk to or hear from anyone else who's been there and would love to get some other opinions.