• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Demi-glace aka Concentré de Volaille/Viande etc

VivreManger

The best product I have tried is made by Aromont, a French manufacturer, whose product apparently is not sold in France, as far as I can tell. A Few years ago it was sold to an Irish company and I do not know if it has maintained the same quality.

I have not tried the William Sonoma version.

IMHO Aromont, at least used to be superior to Demi-Glace Gold, Dartagnan, and a product I buy in Canada, Knorr Bovril concentrated bouillon, not exactly the same thing as demi-glace, but the best bouillon I have found for a quick boost in flavor (the chicken is better than beef).

Now Lynd Gourmet in Ohio

http://store.wspisp.net/lyndsgourmet/Search.bok

lists Aromont on their site, $30 for what I believe is a 7 oz jar (the size did not appear on the product description).

Anyone out there know anything about this company?

For a few years Aromont disappeared in the US so I wonder if Lynd is offering the same product or merely the same brand name.

Over the next few weeks I will be in Canada, France, and Germany so I wonder if any other demiglace available in retail shops there is worth trying.

A few months ago in Paris at Detou (58, rue Tiquetonne, between Etienne Marcel cross street Montorguiel, 75002) I purchased two Nestle concentrés that while better than anything I have found in the States are still inferior to the best Aromont used to carry.

Apparently Aromont is available in German gourmet e-commerce, but not in French. I have also gotten a recommendation for a Danish (!!) product called Oscar.

Edited by VivreManger (log)