• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Royal Farms hot chicken sub

chappie

For those outside the Maryland, Delaware, Virginia region, Royal Farms is a gas station/convenience store much like Wawa, but with more hot food options including some mean fried chicken they prepare all day long.

I don't frequent these places often, but on the advice of a friend, I discovered the Royal Farms hot chicken sub yesterday. As the months pass and I start developing a noticeable layer of schmaltz, I may regret this encounter through sobs of salty, molten chicken fat.

Basically, they take a large, fried breast, pull off all the meat and -- this is the clincher -- skin, and jam it into a roll to be accompanied by your selected toppings. I chose white American cheese, mayo, lettuce and pickles. It was loaded with still-hot, moist breast meat, but the crispy layers of skin are what made me growl while choking it back in all of 90 seconds.

Even the ensuing heartburn was somehow delicious.

Edited by chappie (log)