• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foie Gras Protesters Put Heat on Chefs

KatieLoeb

I am almost loathe to post this for fear of this turning into a pro-con debate, but I thought today's Inquirer article City's Foie Gras Foes Put Heat on Chefs was quite interesting and worthy of discussion.

Having worked at several restaurants in town that have been the target of the protesters (as well as having the home of one of those restaurant owners picketed - I won't say which) I find the protesters pretty annoying. I'm all for free speech, but harassing customers on their way in to the restaurant by blocking their way or shouting at them or picketing the homes of restaurant owners is just over the line. They should be arrested for stalking or assault or something. It just isn't right.

I found the chef's comments most interesting. David Ansill in particular. I love that he credits the protesters with increased sales. :raz: His idea of making the foie gras optional on the shirred eggs dish seems to be a logical solution. My old boss Terry McNally at the London Grill is pretty sassy too. I think the idea of a foie gras festival might be a poke in the protesters eyes, but perhaps if discreetly advertised to the customers she knew would be interested, I suspect would be well attended.

I've already got my haz-mat suit on so keep it on topic. Discuss.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

In keeping with the spirit of the article. I think it is a shame that Stephen Starr, Jose, The FOUR SEASONS, folded so quickly under the pressure of a few zealots. These protestors will just jump on the next band wagon issue to protest. So easy it is to fold under such an unworthy cause, then to actually stand up o those who protest. Kudos to David Ansill, and George to actually giving a dam. This will not stop at Foie Gras, if this passes a slippery slope will follow.

Edited by matthewj (log)

On a tangential note, anyone know why DiBruno's 18th and Chestnut was picketed today?

It's in the story: Di Bruno's sells foie gras. They also have a collection of pates that are labeled, "Does not contain foie gras."

Edited by michaelklein (log)

In keeping with the spirit of the article.  I think it is a shame that Stephen Starr, Jose, The FOUR SEASONS, folded so quickly under the pressure of a few zealots.

As of Sat. it was still on the menu at Tinto, and excellent I will point out. Our server said they ran out the previous day but is was available when we were there.

I am almost loathe to post this for fear of this turning into a pro-con debate, but I thought today's Inquirer article City's Foie Gras Foes Put Heat on Chefs was quite interesting and worthy of discussion.

It would be nice, just once, to see a thread like this stay on-topic and relevant to Pennsylvania, rather than spin off into the same old bloviation, fear-mongering and politics. Too much to expect, I guess...

Anyway, it's an interesting article. A couple of thoughts:

- A foie gras festival would be interesting. (Though how much foie can anybody actually eat at one sitting? Well, maybe I don't want to know the answer to that.)

- I'm glad that David Ansill is holding out. Still, as much as I love that shirred egg dish, the foie really doesn't add much to it; it's such a small piece that you don't get much texture from it. Now, the foie gras pate at Pif-- that's really something special.

- "Hugs for Puppies" is the most awesome name for a political group, EVER. Hooray for non sequiturs! And puppies! I hereby decree that any political action group I found, whatever its focus, will be called "Kisses for Kittens."

I think that it is almost difficult not to make ones blood boil about the choices of people, and such a heated debate in the food world.

I personally wish that more chefs would just come clean, and publicly say "hey, this is my business, I will serve what I like" Stephen star would not have taken it off his menu if he did not feel that it was bad publicity, period.

I find it interesting that the same chefs who have written books, recipes, and have made money off of Foie gras, will run and hide when a small storm comes "a brewing."

I am with David Ansel, and the unlikely George on this topic. It is their business to serve or not serve foie gras on their menu. It is also the choice of the guest to to eat the Foie gras.

I really hope that Philadelphia's city council will busy themselves with a more important agenda, that could actually help the city.

The festival is always a great idea, but very cost prohibitive. Maybe if we lived in Toulouse it could work.

-

A foie gras festival would be interesting.  (Though how much foie can anybody actually eat at one sitting?  Well, maybe I don't want to know the answer to that.)

a regular at Pif had a foie tasting menu once. :D

What I've never understood, whether it's about foie gras or any other cause, is how do the protestors think they're going to win any supporters by their screaming, yelling, in-your-face tactics?

this is my point exactly. it's like political filibustering. they just keep screaming and yelling and hope that people will eventually get so tired of them that they will win.

these kids just believe so blindly that no conversation or argument could convince them of anything other than their belief. it's cult-like.

--

matt o'hara

finding philly