• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Youngest woman ever

Don Giovanni

Youngest woman ever to become a master sommelier
“It's (wine is) for the people, not reserved for the elite, it's the opposite. It's fermented grape juice,” Alpana Singh said.

Click On Me

Okay, am I just missing something here? This thread's title and the opening line of the story is all about this woman who is the Youngest Woman Ever to be a master sommelier but how-the-bloody-heck-old is she???????

Very badly written article (and no offense against you Don Giovanni; we appreciate the link!) to insinuate such an important fact while not offering the information.

But, for the record, she passed the test at the age of 21.

Edited by Carolyn Tillie (log)

I guess her age would excuse her sophomoric quote about wine being "fermented grape juice" for the masses!

Sheeeesh!

She is young...they did not tell you how young...at 21 you are first under the law be allowed to taste wine legally...the omission was to protect her from drinking under age...self evident...if she is 21...any who she will bring a new market to drink wine...the young, bold and innocent...got to love that...go girl...

Maybe I read the article wrong but if she was born in 1976 would she not be 31? Still a great skill set to pass the exams at any age.

Stephen Bonner

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Maybe I read the article wrong but if she was born in 1976 would she not be 31? Still a great skill set to pass the exams at any age.

Stephen Bonner

I did not do a Wikipedia ck as the info on that site is 30% wrong...they list Jancis Robinson as a man in one topic...what a hoot...still ...go girl..you got skills...