• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

We Feed the World

Forest

I recently saw an Austrian documentary, We Feed the World, about globalization and the production of food. I don’t know when/if it will have a major release in the US - looking on IMDB I don’t see any indication that it was released there yet (but it I think it was at the Seattle Film Festival last year.)

Some of the information is not entirely new, but it definitely reconfirmed my thoughts about free-range chicken. And, it reminds you to really think about where your food comes from.

If you’re interested in that kind of thing, it’s worth a watch. However, while I thought it was good, there were parts where I would have liked to see them link the segments to a bigger message or talk about alternative purchasing options or actions. I’m not a complete film idiot and while a lot of information wasn’t new to me and I don’t have to have messages completely spelled out, I can only assume that it’s new or un-thought-about (yes I know that’s not a real word) to a lot of people. I think when you have a captive audience like that it’s a good opportunity to suggest more sustainable, healthier and better options (when they’re more open to it having just been moved by the horrors of the chicken farms or the razing of Brazilian forests.) Obviously that wasn’t their intention and they did do well with the points they covered. So, that’s just my thought…

I’m interested in hearing what other people thought of it. (maybe there’s already been comments on it?? But, I did a quick search and didn’t find anything…)

ETA link.

Edited by Forest (log)

52 martinis blog

@52martinis