• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

cake into cupcakes

annachan

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever used a good cake recipe and make cupcakes out of it. Does it work? Would the cupcakes turn out drier than the cake? What about portions? What size cake (8", 9", 10", quarter sheet, etc.) would make 12 cupcakes?

Usually the amount of batter for two 9-inch rounds or three 8-inch rounds or one 9 x 13-inch sheet cake will make 24 cupcakes.

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

You want to fill the cupcakes about 2/3 full and you'll have to adjust the baking time. The cupcakes we do at work take about 20 minutes, but you'll have to do some testing to find just the right time for your recipe.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

Thanks for the great tips. I'll have to experiment a little since we just got a new oven. Hope I won't have to go through too many batches before getting it right....

With regards to doming (sp?), it depends on how your cake recipe turns out and how you want the cupcakes to turn out. I like domed cupcakes and I find my chocolate cake recipe doesn't dome when used to make cupcakes so I use a different thicker batter for them.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

i usually only make cupcakes out of butter-cake recipes. (sponge-type cakes don't seem to work as well as the egg makes them shrink too much after they bake). I increase the flour a litttle bit, which helps make the domes I like. Also, most home cupcake pans, which I have, don't allow enough air to the middle cupcakes so to avoid the outer ones being overbaked, you might want to fill every-other cup, but that depends on how your oven bakes.

Stephanie Crocker

Sugar Bakery + Cafe