• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Union Square Greenmarket

Jersey tomatoes have been making an appearance.

For this week:

Free-range chicken from Quattro's, eggs from Knoll Crest, a gorgeous head of green leaf lettuce, a baguette, tomatoes, wild arugula, lamb's quarters and assorted herbs.

I don't know if Quattro's still has the smoked pheasant, but it's excellent, and a very good deal at around $19 a bird.

Those belle rouge chickens from Violet Hill, which seem really expensive for a chicken, are a revelation.

I've been really pleased with clams and oysters from Seatuck. The other fish guys are good, but Seatuck seems even fresher.

Lots of strawberries this past week.

I have never been blown away by the greenmarket, is it just me?

The meat is frozen and overpriced, some cheese vendors dont allow samples.

$7 a lb for tomatoes...the produce never ceases to underwhelm me. Recent strawberries have tasted like water.

I do enjoy martins pretzels, knoll crest eggs, and the microgreens vendor, even though they sometimes dont tare the bags...

Its supposed to be a farmers market but there are still apples everywhere.

At least last time I went I saw Kristin Bell, even though she isnt as good in real life.

Amish gentleman selling meat and cheese, ftw.

While I'm not, in general, blown away by a lot of things, I continue to find the greenmarket an awesome resource.

Have you tried the fish or shellfish from any of the seafood vendors? Best scallops and clams I have ever had the pleasure of buying.

If you're paying $7 a pound for tomatoes, you're shopping at the wrong vendor. In May. Try the asparagus instead. Or the plethora of greens at Migliorelli.

And yes, apples at a greenmarket. A farmer grew them, stored them and then sells them. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

HungryChris, if you can wait a few weeks, Bodhitree and/or Lani's Farm will have padron or shisito (I remember seeing them in early July last year). I might stop by and ask how the crop is doing this year. (BTW, Nevia No has left Yuno's Farm, which is now known as Lani's Farm. No's new farm is called Bohitree. Yuno's Farm is no more.)

ChickenStu, I find that the really good stuff gets reserved for chefs who arrange for orders ahead of time/come early, or is sold out by mid-morning, BTW. It also depends what you're looking for and how the weather's been lately. Some vendors are more specialized than others. For example, Keith's is known for garlic, Eckerton Hill is known for tomatoes and hot peppers, Buzzard Crest Vineyards for grapes, Paffenroth for root veggies, Terhune for peaches (although last summer's crop was not as great as past years), etc. I tend to do a round of all of the stands before buying produce, just to see whose is looking best this week.

Plus, I only ever buy Tristar strawberries from Mountain Sweet or Berried Treasures now, have never really liked the other strawberry varieties available. But Mountain Sweet and Berried Treasures are popular with restaurants and set aside a good number for chefs; what's left is usually gone by 10am, 11am.

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

I've become addicted to kale and Migliorelli's is delicious. Also picked up a huge bag of sugar snap peas and a giant fistful of asparagus this weekend. And soon we'll have corn and tomatoes! Completely agree with weinoo on the fish, by the way - I've almost completely given up buying fish anywhere else because of some really disappointing results.

I love the greenmarket. The produce is without a doubt better than at any grocery store, including Whole Foods across the street, and I'm supporting local farmers. It is the primary source of my produce for almost the whole year. If we could only figure out a way to eliminate the crowds, I'd be ecstatic.

If you're paying $7 a pound for tomatoes, you're shopping at the wrong vendor. In May. Try the asparagus instead. Or the plethora of greens at Migliorelli.

Of course you'll be paying through the nose for tomatoes (because it's early in the season, for starters).

Most of us usually wait until late summer or early fall, when the markets will explode in tomatoey goodness. You'll be oozing tomatoes out of your eyes, you won't know what to do with them.

If you shop carefully and more importantly, in-season, it's possible to go home under $40 and be able to feed yourself for a week. I know, because I shop there weekly and I've been blogging about it for over two years.

When I hear people complain about USGM, I usually think they have an axe to grind. And you know what? 99% of the time, I'm right.

PS. Farmers have to make a living too -- all that beautiful produce doesn't magically appear out of thin air.

I'm late in posting -- for this week: heirloom beets, French breakfast radishes, lamb's quarters, puntarella, rocambole garlic. Flounder from Blue Moon Fish; bacon ends from Flying Pig Farms. The most wonderful baby potatoes from Mountain Sweet Berry.

The danger with letting me shop at USGM is that I'll go there with a plan to spend no more than $20 and buy stuff for twice that amount.

4693903806_69158ecd27_b.jpg

Cherries (unlike some people, I believe in showing everything, perfect produce and blemishes alike) -- this is more "real" to me, and a personal preference

4693269473_b116c44c22_b.jpg

Strawberries, from Migliorelli Farm

So for this week:

cow's milk ricotta from Tonjes, heirloom tomatoes, summer squash, zucchini, mushrooms, Persian cucumber, upland cress, herbs, a baguette, golden beets and eggs.

Pasta tonight with greens and mushrooms, maybe ricotta gnocchi later in the week. And I think a salade nicoise for tomorrow's lunch.

Yeah, got some garlic scapes, sugar snaps, Thumbelina carrots, a belle rouge chicken, eggs from Quattro's, Queen Anne cherries, a whole black sea bass for dinner tonight, whole milk and cream from Milk Thistle, and cider donuts for me and Melchi (my three-year-old son who comes to the market with me) to eat in the park.

• 2 weeks later...

051-1.JPG

Sweet cherries (close-up)

For this week: CORN!!!, cherry tomatoes, herbs, gooseberries, pluots, black cabbage, sucrine lettuce, onions, black sea bass, at least 3 different types of summer squash, Persian cucumbers, a baguette, buttermilk and cauliflower.

Thank god it's a 3-day weekend b/c I'm going to be cooking up a storm.

Sat night dinner will be inspired in part by an entree I once had at one of the Blue Hill restaurants a couple of years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

today's haul -- black sea bass, scallops, chicken mushrooms from Violet Hill, Jersey tomatoes, herbs, sourdough, apple pie, lettuce, cucumber, eggs from Quattro's

Quattro's had unrendered duck fat for $4. think I'll wait until they've got rendered, sometime in the fall.

Strawberries from Mountain Sweet Berry, which went directly into strawberry shortcake with the whipped cream from Ronnybrook. Maple syrup (ok, it's not in season, I'm out), sucrine, fresh garlic, mustard greens in a salad mix, fava beans, English peas, pollack and a egg-o-rama of Araucana eggs, a goose egg and a dozen quail eggs.

CIMG2116.JPG

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

• 8 months later...

052.JPG

Winter market is beautiful as ever, with a different kind of energy than at other times during the year.

For this week: free-range organic chicken, Meyer lemon marmalade, mussels, Yukon Gold potatoes, Russian Banana fingerling potatoes, tatsoi greens, American turnips, Japanese turnips, gold cippolini onions, yellow onions and ricotta cheese.

Mountain Sweet Berry mentioned that ramps might be a little late this year, around early to mid-April. Sad face.

• 11 months later...

let's see if I can keep this thread going all year round. LOL. I find it disconcerting that no posts have been made since February 2012.

8500346549_0bb18e2533_z.jpg

Limited market basket this week: shiitake mushrooms, red and white kohlrabi, Adirondack blue potatoes, rutabaga, smoked bacon, Savoy cabbage, farm eggs

• 3 weeks later...

Is that (melting) ice I see on the Savoy cabbage? :smile:

If you are there again this month (with temps still in the around-freezing-range) I'd be curious for a pic of what Silva Orchids (see pdf) offers at this time...

How does the Union Square stuff compare with, say, the indoor Chelsea Market (or other indoor Winter [Farmers'] Markets) in NYC?

Edited by huiray (log)

Indoor "farmers' markets" carry a range of goods from around the globe. The Union Square greenmarket, as well as all "grow nyc" green markets in New York City, carry only products from within a certain limited geographic area; you won't see oranges, lemons, kiwis, grapefruits, mangoes, etc.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Is the biodynamic farm from upstate still selling? They specialized in cheese and bread and their old cheddars were amazing. The yoghurt was also delicious. Our son actually spent a week working on the farm as part of a school project...but I can never remember the name.

Indoor "farmers' markets" carry a range of goods from around the globe. The Union Square greenmarket, as well as all "grow nyc" green markets in New York City, carry only products from within a certain limited geographic area; you won't see oranges, lemons, kiwis, grapefruits, mangoes, etc.

Yes, that's right, I'd forgotten that aspect. But what I had in mind when I asked that question was a comparison between what one found in terms of local produce as well as local foodstuffs (prepared or baked or cooked etc) between the Union Square green market and the "equivalent" local stuff found in indoor winter markets in NYC (including Chelsea Market).

Some equivalent stuff can be foound at the Whole Foods markets located around the city. Certainly in the winter, the equivalent stuff is, well, equivalent.

During growing season, however, you're most likely going to find the freshest stuff at the true farmers' markets. And a greater variety as well.

Tasty Travails - My Blog