• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Canton, Ohio recommendations needed

fisherman

Hello from a UK egulleter, I'm visiting Canton, Ohio in May for 10 days and need some good dining recommendation's, everything from casual lunch spots to top end restaurants, if it's good, and in Canton I want to know about it!

Thanks to you all in advance.

Jon.

I'm no expert in the Canton area, but since you will be in that area for 10 days, you should find a little time to experience Barberton Chicken. Most of the joints (and they are joints, not restaurants!) that make it are located about 15-20 miles north of Canton, in the Akron-Barberton area.

Rather than try to describe the history and options of this Depression-era dish, I recommend you read the article linked below.

Barberton Chicken article

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Over the past decade or so, we've spent a total of several weeks in the Canton area. We have close friends who live there and we visit them whenever we can. In terms of fine dining, forget about it -- that's simply not the strength of the area. Make plans to drive the hour to Cleveland and go to Lola or one of the other good Cleveland restaurants if you want a fine-dining experience while you're there. You will also find that in the Akron-Canton area pretty much all the middle-market chains are represented, and that they dominate the food scene.

The restaurants around Canton that tend to be good are mostly of the down-home variety. A couple of places I can recommend, that I know are still open and still good because we were there last year, are:

The Cameo Grill, owned by Joe and Judy Heinzer, is one of the best breakfast restaurants I've been to anywhere. If we're in Canton for a week, we're likely to eat breakfast at Cameo's seven times. You will not find a better plate of eggs and sausage with white gravy anywhere. And it's cheap. Incredibly cheap. A total dive, you'll be dining with a crowd of bikers, mill workers and various unexplained people. It's at 809 South Erie, Massillon, Ohio, 330.837.1919.

Ricky Ly's is, as far as I can tell, the one good Chinese restaurant in the area. I've spoken to Ricky Ly (he's the owner, in case that wasn't clear from the name of the restaurant) a few times, and hope to include him in a book I'm working on. Like pretty much all Chinese restaurants in Middle America (and even in the Chinatowns of the major cities), Ricky Ly's has all the usual American Chinese glop on the menu. However, the kitchen can also produce a lot of good dishes, and is oriented towards providing good food to those with a willingness to order it. Somebody in the Ly family is Thai, so there are a bunch of Thai dishes mixed in with the menu, and they're good. The best experience the restaurant offers is a banquet, which you have to arrange in advance. It's not cheap, especially not by local standards, but you can set up something very nice if you sit down with Ricky and plan it out. The address is 4695 Dressler Road N.W., Canton, Ohio, 330.492.5905. There's a website with menu here.

There's also a good steakhouse in the area, however I'm having trouble pulling up the address. The problem is that it used to be called Leonard's, but has since changed names, but we still call it Leonard's. I'll email our friends there and see what I can find out.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Well what great responses! Thanks a lot guys, I love the idea of good fried chicken, something you can never ever get in the UK, and knowing my colleagues (We're a TV crew going out there to film at a magicians convention) A seriously good breakfast is the best way to impress them.

The lack of fine dining isn't a problem, if it was there I guess we would have sampled it, but I can live without it, local specials is really what I'm after, and I think we have that covered!

Thanks again,

Jon.

Oh yes, this place Angello's is not bad. It bills itself as "California Italian," which is relatively accurate. It's semi-upscale Americanized Italian, but not Italian-American red sauce cuisine. 4905 W Tuscarawas Street, Canton, 330.477.1486.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Oh, if you're a whole crew definitely do a Chinese banquet at Ricky Ly's. Also, I would certainly suggest planning one evening in Cleveland -- it's an amazing town. If you can get an afternoon and evening, even better.

I forgot to mention the Kraus Pizza chain. It's a local chain of pizzerias that makes a relative of the Chicago-style deep-dish pizza. Totally overloaded with cheese, sauce and toppings. They make a stuffed version (dough on bottom and top), which is the local favorite. There are several branches, so you'll want to find the one near your location.

Agree with all of the above. I work in Barberton and I can tell you that these folks are serious about their chicken.

While they are local chains, I wouldn't hesitate to suggest a Rockne's or a Winking Lizard for casual lunches. They both offer a huge variety of sandwiches, soups, and salads, not to mention a bevvy of taps. I've never had anything that wasn't delicious. There's also a place on Cleveland Road, near 30th, called "John's Bar & Grill" that lacks ambiance, but makes a helluva nice sandwich. When my husband's associates come into town, they insist on going to John's for lunch. I also really like The Geisen Haus in North Canton. They have the usual selection of bar food, but they also have a really big selection of German dishes and homemade soups. Oh, and beer. Lots of beer.

As far as Akron goes, the only place on my mind right now is a newish Japanese/Hibachi/Sushi place called "Wasabi". It's on the west side of Akron in Montrose/Fairlawn area. I don't really dig hibachi, so I can't speak for that, but the sushi is the best I've had in the area.

My wife is from Canton as well, and although we get back only once/twice a year or so....she concurs on Ricky Ly's. Also recommends John's Bar; good casual bar with way better than average bar food (with some Greek stuff thrown in)... good luck!

Well, night one saw us in Geisen Haus, good food, particularly great sausages and the hottest buffalo wings known to man, good job the Warsteiner came in pitchers to take the heat away!

One of our crew has his birthday on Saturday so I think it will be Ricky Lys then.

• 2 months later...

Apologies all for the delay in thanking you all properly, we ate well on our trip, and it was mainly thanks to you guys!

Ricky Lys was excellent, great food, and a good atmosphere.

Angelos was booked one night, but we never made it due to a late finish, which was a shame.

The Geisenhaus became our regular haunt, close to the hotel and reliably good food and beer.

many thanks to you all once again.

Jon