• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Organic vs Local

takadi

I'm not sure if this topic was already posted, but there's that whole debate on whether local or organic foods actually make any difference in taste, nutrition, etc. They even did a Time Magazine front page on this issue. There's that whole thing that local consumes less resources for transport, arrives fresher, and has more trustworthy sources. Then there's organic with their lack of pesticides, hormones, claims for more nutrition, etc. Then they say the standards for real organic aren't very regulated or defined, and that local produce are often limited in selection and supply and grown in the exact same way as commercially grown produce. Any thoughts?

I saw an article on TV on this issue some weeks ago. The end result was that organic tasted better and in general was better for you. Dare I add biodynamic into the argument? We buy cheese made from organic and biodynamic milk and it is beautiful. Here in my house we only eat organic eggs, because they taste so much better and we buy organic butter. We only eat locally produced food, never buy fruit or vegetables that are imported into Australia and subscribe to the principals of the slow food movement.

What are other people doing? And do you think it tastes better?