• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Julia Child Biographies

Carrot Top

Two new additions on the life of Julia, just released:

Backstage with Julia by Nancy Verde Barr

Julia Child by Laura Shapiro

I look forward to perusing these two books.  :smile:

I've added both books to my (very long) Amazon Wish List.

Anybody who reads them .... please write a review?

SB (for whom there's no such thing as too much Julia :wub: )

• 4 months later...

I have heard excellent things about the Laura Shapiro book, and am now trying to remember where...a magazine somewhere...could it have been Entertainment Weekly? That seems unlikely...

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

i found the laura shapiro book pretty dull, with few fresh anecdotes or insight. the barr one had a few more glimpses behind the scenes, and stories i hadn't heard before. i'll read just about anything "julia"...anyone know if stephanie hersh (her very long-time assistant) is planning a book? how could she not, unless that was an agreement between the two? THAT is one i'd scramble for...RIP, dear julia!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook